Sound Bar with existing speakers and sub?

• 21 February 2019
  • 6 replies

I am buying a new TV and want to add a Sonos sound bar to it. But I also want to integrate my existing wired two speakers and sub-woofer. Is this doable?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, rdonnellon. Welcome to the community. This is not possible. In order to integrate third-party hardware with Sonos, a CONNECT would be the way to go. Please ensure that your third-party devices are compatible with the CONNECT if considering purchasing it, however. Let us know if you have any further questions.
Thanks for the reply Edward. So if I get a Sonos sound bar for my TV and purchase a Sonos connect to drive my existing speakers and sub, can I set it up so existing speakers are rear speakers of a 5.1 channel surround set up? And will sound bar and connect commitate wirelessly with no physical connection?
Just to be clear... the Connect is used with an amplifier and passive speakers, or with active speakers, and you could use your own sub if that can be run from your existing amplifier. Your post is not completely clear as to what you already have.

It seems to me that the Sonos Amp may be better suited to your needs than the Playbar, but we need clarification on what you have if we are to give good advice.
Thanks for the reply Edward. So if I get a Sonos sound bar for my TV and purchase a Sonos connect to drive my existing speakers and sub, can I set it up so existing speakers are rear speakers of a 5.1 channel surround set up? And will sound bar and connect commitate wirelessly with no physical connection?

No. There is no way to mix Sonos and non-sonos speakers together in a single 5.1 channel system. With a Connect, you would set that up as input to your 2 wired speakers/sub receiver/amp. This way you can play sonos streaming services through your existing setup and play in sync with whatever other speakers you might have around your house.

All Sonos products connect to each other wirelessly, but not to non-sonos products, except when airplay is used.

For your situation, I would look into the Sonos amp. This would replace your current amp so that you could continue to use your wired speakers for front stereo as well as your existing and sub, and then add 2 additional speakers (probably play:1 or Sonos One) as the rear. That setup would utilize the majority of your existing gear and get you to full 5.1 audio, at a cost of around $900 all together. Otherwise, you would need to get a Sonos soundbar, sub, and 2 rear speakers, at a minumum of $1400 (Beam+Sub+2 play:1).

edit: John beat me to it.
Thanks to all for great feedback! I am going with the Sonos amp to use my existing speakers as front and will also connect existing sub. I will then purchase two Sonos for rear channel. It also looks like I can add a Sonos speaker for front center channel?
The Sonos amp has a phantom center channel. That's to say that your left and right channels are tuned to give the appearance of a center channel without an actual speaker there. Although I have an amp, I rarely use it for TV audio and can't really speak to how well it works. But to answer your question specifically, you can't setup a physical center channel speaker, Sonos or otherwise.