Question

Sony Android TV KD75X8000G + Sonos Arc.

I am streaming both Netflix and Disney+ via the android app available with the Sony TV and output the audio via the Arc. The system recognise Dolby Atmos contents from Netflix and working fine but not with Disney+ where it is only output as 5.1

What is the issue? How can I setup or make Disney+ stream atmos as well. Btw I’m in Australia.

Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

If it’s working with Netflix, it’s not a Sonos issue. Have you checked the Disney + app to see if it has audio settings, or contacted Disney + to see what kind of signal they’re using to encode the signal?

If it’s working with Netflix, it’s not a Sonos issue. Have you checked the Disney + app to see if it has audio settings, or contacted Disney + to see what kind of signal they’re using to encode the signal?

Thanks. I have yet to contact Disney+ directly. Thought of checking here if anyone has similar issue and have resolved it.

I believe there is no audio setting on the app itself, like Netflix, which should be auto detect. When I connected my Arc to my TV, Netflix automatically display atmos as available based on content that support atmos. I believe that is the same case with Disney+ as mentioned in their support page.

As a guess, then, it’s a bug with the Disney + app. Otherwise it wouldn’t be working with Netflix. Sorry I don’t have a better answer. Good luck!

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @ericwanch.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for sharing your experience.

I would like to agree with @Airgetlam. Based on what you have shared via attached image. It clearly shows Disney+ offers both DD5.1 and Dolby Atmos. Since you have mentioned that the issue with Disney+ is, It is able to generate Dobly 5.1 but not Dobly Atmos, I would like to recommend checking first the video being watched if it is Dolby Atmos or DD 5.1. You have mentioned that there is no option or settings on Disney+ to set what audio quality it generates which means the audio is depended on how the video is coded.

You may want to check with Disney+ technical support team or the information of the movie you may have watched to check if it is Dolby Atmos coded or DD5.1.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

My understanding, and experience, is that Disney Plus Android app does not offer Atmos. 

Thanks guys!

I am running Disney+ app on Sony Android TV downloaded directly from the TV’s Google Play store app. Not sure if this version deliver Dolby Atmos content. From what I can find in the internet, I am sure pretty of a few movies which are available in Dolby Atmos from Disney+ and I tested them specifically for this purpose.

I guess the explanation would be this TV app version of Disney+ does not offer Atmos. Anyway, will try to contact Disne+ for confirmation.

Cheers!

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

HI @ericwanch.

Thanks for the feedback.

I’m glad everything is all clear and fine now. Congratulations and enjoy your sonos.

Please let me know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@ericwanch Which android TV version do you have on your TV. I have a Sony X930E and the netflix app on my TV doesnt output atmos. It Only outputs Dolby Digital Plus.

@ericwanch Which android TV version do you have on your TV. I have a Sony X930E and the netflix app on my TV doesnt output atmos. It Only outputs Dolby Digital Plus.

I have 2 Sony Android TV (Australian specs).

1. 2019 KD75X8000G - running Android TV 8.0 with Netflix 7.3.2 build 3539 connected to the Sonos Arc + Sub Gen 3 + 2x One SL.
  2. 2016 KD49X7000D - also running Android TV 8.0 with Netflix 7.3.2 build 3539 connected to the Sonos Beam.

Only the 2019 X8000G passthrough Dolby Atmos as lossy DD+ via HDMI ARC.

I did try connecting the Arc to the 2016 X7000D but output as DD+ only. So the older 2016 TV does not passthrough Atmos.

If you have a look at the below link, there is a list showing different TVs with all the passthrough capability but limited back to last 2 years only. My 2019 TV is confirmed to be able to passthorugh Dolby Atmos via HDMI ARC as DD+.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs/5-1-surround-audio-passthrough

Cheers!

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @ericwanch.

Thanks for the immediate and detailed response. 

I would like to share with you these guides to better understand how things work with eARC and ARC in regards to your Beam and Arc.

This guide is all about the Sonos Beam’s complete feature, limitation, supported set up. and functionality to better understand between ARC and eARC. Here is another guide about supported audio format for home theater. The ARC supports Dolby digital audio format, PCM, Stereo, and Dolby Digital 5.1. On the other hand, the eARC supports Dolby Atmos and Dolby Digital +. You may want to check this thread out about Sonos Beam, Sonos Arc, ARC, and eARC discussion that might help you out.

Thanks,

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

1. 2019 KD75X8000G - running Android TV 8.0 with Netflix 7.3.2 build 3539 connected to the Sonos Arc + Sub Gen 3 + 2x One SL.
  2. 2016 KD49X7000D - also running Android TV 8.0 with Netflix 7.3.2 build 3539 connected to the Sonos Beam.

I did try connecting the Arc to the 2016 X7000D but output as DD+ only. So the older 2016 TV does not passthrough Atmos.

If you have a look at the below link, there is a list showing different TVs with all the passthrough capability but limited back to last 2 years only. My 2019 TV is confirmed to be able to passthorugh Dolby Atmos via HDMI ARC as DD+.

Cheers!

I have the Sony X930E which supports Dolby atmos over Dolby digital plus. I get Atmos from Prime Video app but not from Netflix. I checked the build and I have the same Netflix build and Android TV 8.0. Not sure what could be causing that.

Cheers!

I have the Sony X930E which supports Dolby atmos over Dolby digital plus. I get Atmos from Prime Video app but not from Netflix. I checked the build and I have the same Netflix build and Android TV 8.0. Not sure what could be causing that.

That’s interesting. The only other thing I can think of is Netflix subscription. i assumed you have the premium version which allow 4k streaming and thus Atmos. Other that that, given all things the same, that is baffling.