Answered

Sonos True Surround Sound

• 11 February 2022
  • 7 replies

Is a Beam (x1) + One SL (x2) capable of true surround sound?

Hello, I have the aforementioned Sonos equipment, and am not sure I am able to get true surround sound (speaker isolation). I have a Samsung TV (probably around 2015 model), and have my Beam wired with the HDMI to Optical to the TV set. My sound output on the TV indicates that it is outputting DTS Neo 2.5 (there is no way I am able to highlight the DD option, it is greyed out all of the time). I have setup the system in the Sonos app correctly, and have the surround pair setup so all 3 speakers are connected and working. I am using a surround test file on the Pirates of the Caribbean DVD. My Sonos app indicates it is receiving DD 5.1; however, when running the test and the test indicates that the only speaker that should be playing is a rear, sound is somewhat quiet from that speaker and still coming out of the front. It doesn’t appear there is any speaker isolation. I have ran the Beam directly into my DVD player (PS4) with the same results.

My questions are as follows:

1. Am I doing something wrong and, if so, what?
  2. I believe I was able to rule out the fact that is an issue with my TV, as I have achieved the same results using the PS4. Is this a limitation of Optical output?
  3. If my Sonos app indicates I am receiving DD 5.1, why am I unable to achieve speaker isolation?
  4. Any other insight would be very helpful.

Prior to opting for a new TV to fix the issue, I want to make sure that this option would solve my issue, and I believe by testing the PS4 directly that this will not solve it. If you have any other ways to help me, or things I should try please let me know. I have been testing and trying new options ever since I received the speakers. I want to be able to hear objects moving through the room, and as it stands it sounds more as if sound is always coming through all the speakers, just sometimes it may be a little louder on a speaker as opposed to others.

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 11 February 2022, 15:51

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7

What exact model Samsung TV are you using? Have you tried connecting the Beam to the TV’s HDMI ARC port instead?

On the PS4, make sure the Audio Output setting is set to Bitstream (Dolby). And while the disc is playing, press the Option button on the controller, select the “…” and change Audio Format to Bitstream (Direct).

Thanks GS,

The TV model is UN50H6 Samsung. There is no HDMI ARC.

I had the PS4 set as per your directions when playing the DVD surround test file, although I simply set the audio mode under settings prior to playing. I didn’t change it again using the options button during playback.

Should I be able to achieve channel isolation through my setup; be it through the PS4 or the TV?

Userlevel 7

If the Sonos app is displaying “Dolby Digital 5.1”, then you should be getting 5.1 audio.

When you change Audio Format setting to Bitstream using the Options button while the disc is playing, do you notice any difference?

In the TV audio settings, what options do you have under Audio Format? 

Under Dolby Digital Comp, make sure this setting is turned off.

In both cases, playing through the TV and PS4, my app states Dolby Digital 5.1; yet, when the surround test file indicates sound should only be coming from a rear speaker, it is in fact playing through front and rear. I was under the impression that if the test file states sound coming from rear only, that should be what I hear and term speaker isolation.

I have bitstream enabled on the PS4 with the same results (can you explain this).

In TV audio I have DTS Neo 2.5 selected as this is my only surround option; yet when this is selected, my Sonos app still indicates it is receiving DD 5.1.

I am not certain what DD Comp is.

Can I be expecting speaker isolation, if not through the TV (even though Sonos app states it is receiving DD 5.1) then through the PS4?

Userlevel 7

If the Sonos app is displaying “Dolby Digital 5.1” then, yes, the surround audio should be isolated and only play through the surround speakers.

Can you post a screenshot of the surround test from the DVD? Can you also post a photo of the audio settings on your TV?

I will have to get back to you with the pics.

The surround speakers are in fact playing, but they are never isolated when the test file states they should be.

For GS and others having similar issues,

I did as GS said: I connected the optical to the PS4 directly into the Beam. I set the audio option within the setting menu of my PS4 to optical out, and Dobly (Bitstream). When playing DVD, I had to press the options button on the PS4 controller and select Bitstream. Only then could I achieve speaker isolation.

So in this case, my TV was the bottleneck. I believe the reason the Sonos app stated it was receiving DD 5.1 is because it was but it probably in a formatted or non-true original DD (it must have been modified by the TV as I could not achieve speaker isolation).

The playback will default to play stereo, so this will have to be set every time one is watching a DVD or other. I am hoping there is a way to change this, so if anyone knows how to change the default please let me know.

Also, it seems as though this only has to be changed for watching on disc, as playback through streaming apps will be in DD. Can anyone confirm, and answer why this only happens for playing disc media?

One last question: if anyone can explain why the Sonos app displayed it was receiving DD 5.1 when in fact it clearly did not seem it was (which I could identify through testing) that would be amazing.