Sonos system & Amazon fire TV box connected via ethernet

• 5 December 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Evening all , me again 🤦🏻‍♂️ !! After hours of issues today that started with one surround speaker not connected and couldn't connect it back online I have finally sussed the issue ! Its took hours to get the speaker to connect again ! 

My Amazon box is connected via ethernet and has been like that for years .

I got the Sonos and set it all up only watched sky tv

Today I tried the Amazon box , buffering all the time plus couldn't connect speaker .

I've disconnected the ethernet cable ( now on WiFi ) and now no buffering ! 

Speaker has connected straight away too !!! 

So now I have full surround I plugged ethernet back in the fire box , buffering loads !! 

Turned off Sonos system, fire box is fine on ethernet !! 

turn Sonos on and buffering !! 

now I have fire TV box on WiFi , surrounds connected easily and working , hopefully I won't come down in the morning to one speaker disconnected ! 

thanks 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Badge +17

Hi @Edgie70,

That sounds odd. My guess is that there’s some kind of network conflict when both devices are wired, causing the buffering and disconnection issues. If the wireless connection is working fine for you, then I don’t see a reason to change that :slight_smile:

Let me know whether things continue to remain connected, or if the issues return.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi @Edgie70,

That sounds odd. My guess is that there’s some kind of network conflict when both devices are wired, causing the buffering and disconnection issues. If the wireless connection is working fine for you, then I don’t see a reason to change that :slight_smile:

Let me know whether things continue to remain connected, or if the issues return.

Thanks for your reply ,

Came down this morning and system all still connected up which I'm obviously happy about , tried Amazon box , works fine when not on ethernet .

I'm going to reconnect the ethernet tonight and see if I get buffering again .

Only issue I did have this morning was when I turned on CEC in the TV the Sonos didn't play sound straight away as it has done , I had to go in TV sound output and select hdmi , that might be just a CEC glitch on the TV , I turned off CEC then back on and it worked fine .

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi all , quick update on my Amazon box buffering now I've got the Sonos system , as before ...... Amazon box connected via ethernet and buffers BUT it's fine on WiFi ,  been on to technical and they say my router has a something called " QoS " quality of service and it prioritises higher bandwidth equipment , like the 3 Sonos , hence that even though Amazon was connected via ethernet the higher bandwidth equipment was taking more power ( pardon the lack of technical terms ) 

Thanks again , Dave