Sonos Streaming Device (selector?)

• 22 November 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

So many of us heard the rumors that one of the upcoming devices is a streaming unit. I'm all in on that (apple tv and firestick is awful). At the same time, many of us using an Arc or Beam have either an issue of no E-arc on our TVs or on some units (samsungs for example) the TVs really struggle to connect and transfer data properly. As a result ma y of us have had to spend quit a bit on HDfury products to get around these issues. I'd hope had hoped Sonos's streaming device would include a selector and the option to seperate the audio similar to an HDfury Arcana, but I'm sure this isn't going to be the case. So I am really hoping now that they produce an hdmi selector that also acts in the manner that the Arcana and Vrroom works.

3 replies

Honestly, this would be a real surprise to me if Sonos were to go in this direction. It would be a major change from their current focus, and a deep dive into an entirely new market space. 

Not that I wouldn’t support it. Would love such a device, since I’m probably not going to replace my TV just for the ability to have eARC. Or frankly anything other that Dolby Digital pass through (damn you, Vizio!). But it sure seems like a stretch from their current line of offerings. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Honestly, this would be a real surprise to me if Sonos were to go in this direction. It would be a major change from their current focus, and a deep dive into an entirely new market space. 

Not that I wouldn’t support it. Would love such a device, since I’m probably not going to replace my TV just for the ability to have eARC. Or frankly anything other that Dolby Digital pass through (damn you, Vizio!). But it sure seems like a stretch from their current line of offerings. 

I don't have e-arc on my current TV. The TV had a fantastic picture at the time and had no desire to dump the whole unit just to get Dolby Atmos, so I ended up getting a HDfury Arcana and it has generally served its purpose. But I know in the next year I will most likely be looking into moving on to a new TV and reading the forums, it sounds like a nightmare with E-arc, different TVs and the Sonos Arc. Very, very nervous about what TV to get thst will offer the picture I want and will be compatible with the Arc without all the issues I keep reading about. 

I wouldn’t be waiting out for Sonos to do anything specific related to video streaming   It’s not in their wheelhouse, as already mentioned, but the rumor isn’t really that strong.  If I remember correctly, it’s solely based on some job posting, a position for someone to be well versed and communicate with other companies that do streaming video.  That could turn into nothing.  It could turn in to Sonos controller TV app.  It could turn into Sonos creating their own streaming box. It could turn in to Sonos  creating their own HDMI switching box?  I tend to think the first 2 possibilities are more likely than the last 2.

I don’t think a video streaming box will happen because it’s not the best fit for Sonos skills. The only really advantage is that maybe then could send audio directly from the streaming box to the Sonos soundbar, removing some issues, and allowing for perfect sync with other Sonos rooms if they buffer the video.  But it won’t work for cable, TV native apps, blu ray players, game consoles, and people who already love their streaming apps.  As well, I don’t think Amazon, Google (Android TV), and Apple would be all that welcoming in the market.

As far an HDMI switch goes, it solves some of the problems above.  You can delay the video, you cover any HDMI source (except maybe native apps) and you aren’t competing with Big Tech.  But you are competing with HD Fury, Feintech, Orei, and whatever other company makes an HDMI to HDMI-eARC convertor box for cheap.  If Sonos wanted to do this they should have had HD Fury make it for them, or just add the extra HDMI inputs to their soundbars like so many people wanted.  They didn’t do either, so it’s hard to imagine they will suddenly decide to now. 

Give me a Sonos streaming box with passthrough HDMI inputs, buffered audio and video, wireless transmission to a bonded soundbar and any other Sonos room. But I doubt it.