Question

Sonos Port Used for Surround Speakers

I’d like to use a Sonos Port for surround speakers. Can anybody tell me if this is possible? Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

I’d like to use a Sonos Port for surround speakers. Can anybody tell me if this is possible? 

No, it isn’t. 

Is there a place we can request a feature as this makes a lot of sense.

Userlevel 7

Hi @Luke_18 and @admindevil 

Sonos speakers used as surrounds must be BONDED to a Sonos Home Theater speaker such as an Arc, Beam, Playbar, Playbase or a Sonos Amp that uses 3rd party speakers for left and right channels. The same applies to the Sonos Sub.

A feature request to use a Sonos Port to run surround speakers would only make sense if the speakers being used were powered 3rd party speakers. I doubt Sonos would ever consider adding such a feature as it would require a total redesign of the Port. To do so would not be something simply handled by a firmware/software update.

From a marketing standpoint doing so would also duplicate features of the Sonos Amp to a degree and erode Sonos Amp sales. Besides the Port would not be sold at the same price point as now. It would be more expensive.

I’d be curious to know under what circumstances one would require a Port to drive surrounds as surround material is sent by the Sonos Home Theaters speakers I mentioned earlier.

I doubt we are talking a total redesign of the Port for this feature - let me give a simple sample - front of the room I have my TV with a sonos amp and 2 passive speakers. - rear of the room is my listening area where i have my vinyl setup which includes a pre, power amp and passive speakers. I also have a sonos port connect on one input with ht bypass in case I want some beefier music. All works great except I wanted to have surround sound for the TV and only way to do this was to add 2 Sonos ones on top of my speakers in the rear, alternative was another Sonos Amp with a speaker level switch which I really didn't like. Any thoughts on this scenario?

Userlevel 7

@admindevil 

I see what you are suggesting. However the Sonos Port is not designed to operate over 5Ghz which is how surround information is sent by Sonos.

Ahh good point - never checked wifi specs as all sonos hardwired - let me grab a another amp and a niles spk-1 - will trigger it from my pre-amp :-)

Hi @Luke_18 and @admindevil 

Sonos speakers used as surrounds must be BONDED to a Sonos Home Theater speaker such as an Arc, Beam, Playbar, Playbase or a Sonos Amp that uses 3rd party speakers for left and right channels. The same applies to the Sonos Sub.

A feature request to use a Sonos Port to run surround speakers would only make sense if the speakers being used were powered 3rd party speakers. I doubt Sonos would ever consider adding such a feature as it would require a total redesign of the Port. To do so would not be something simply handled by a firmware/software update.

From a marketing standpoint doing so would also duplicate features of the Sonos Amp to a degree and erode Sonos Amp sales. Besides the Port would not be sold at the same price point as now. It would be more expensive.

I’d be curious to know under what circumstances one would require a Port to drive surrounds as surround material is sent by the Sonos Home Theaters speakers I mentioned earlier.

My reasons are pretty simple. I have large speakers I’d like to use with my own amp as rears. The Port would be connected via Ethernet so wireless isn’t a consideration. 

thanks. 

OK grabbed another amp and build a speaker selector so all good now - one thing that I raised before is that it would be great if you could force music to only play on surrounds only

Surround sound working - check

Subwoofer working wired into the front amp working - check

Port connected to analog working to stream analog - check

Switch rear speakers to analog setup working - check

Play Sonos Music only on rear amp not working - can only increase volume of rears

Userlevel 7

@admindevil 

Please do me a favor. As you say you are now getting surround audio through a Sonos Port… the next time you are using the Port for surround please check the room via the Sonos app and let us know if the output shows DD 5.1 or 2.0.

Apologies if I was not clear - surround sound driven by rear SONOS Amp - let me illustrate.

Userlevel 7

Hi @admindevil 

Thanks for the excellent diagram. As the original conversation involved using the Port for surround material that’s what I thought you were referring to. Therefore my request to verify the audio output.

However, IMO you have more equipment/connections than needed. Unless there is some specific reason for the NAIM, the Speaker A/B selector, the extra sub and Sonos Port all could be eliminated. See diagram below:

Yours was my first choice but alas have one small issue - WIFE factor.

She doesn't want the large speakers or turntable which is currently in the rear by the TV :-( - also for soft late night vinyl listening I still prefer the NAIM so this was the best way I could accommodate both.

One thing that I can research is an audio over IP solution and then keep the Vinyl player in the rear and send signal to front - then just swop speakers - will also solve the issue that I have now with port showing up as a room but it is really just an input.

Userlevel 7

Wives...I get it. LOL

Ok had a great day of listening and cleaning up cables - i also removed the NAIM so setup now simple - amp in front and amp in rear and vinyl connected to port. Just wish there was a way to mute front speakers and just listen to music on the rears - first prize would be if rear could also use line in and sub but made peace with that. Turning rear volume up for music helps but prefer that slider to be a front rear slider - all the way left fronts only and all the way right rears only - hopefully this is possible one day 🙂

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Isn’t this what the SONOS AMP is for? Surround speakers that are not powered or SONOS ?

Yes but this is not the question - question is whether you can toggle front or surrounds only for TV and Music - see sample below.

Just to add the way that it is currently working is to increase decrease the volume for the surround - in my sample it can decrease for both.