Answered

Sonos Playbar and Yamaha RX-V6A Reciever

• 14 March 2021
  • 1 reply

First off, I am a novice when it comes to AV systems, etc. I just moved into a new house with a large wall mounted Samsung TV and a Sonos Playbar.  There are 2 wired speakers (currently not in use) in the ceiling in the back end of our TV viewing area.  There are also have 2 wired speakers outside.  I recently purchased a Yamaha RX-V6A Reciever, thinking I could run ALL of my speakers through it. I thought I could run the TV, Sonos Playbar and rear ceiling speakers on one Zone of the receiver, and my outdoor speakers on the other zone. I have recently been told that the Sonos Playbar will not work with this set up.  Is this true, and if so, is there a work around to make it all work?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 15 March 2021, 13:46

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

HI @ofwaih 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

In short, no - not with the Yamaha. The Sonos Playbar effectively works as a receiver itself - it cannot be used as a speaker for another receiver, and it will not work in conjunction with non-Sonos devices (apart from your TV).

What will work is a Sonos Amp - it can connect to your in-ceiling speakers (assuming they’re 4-8 Ohms) and wirelessly connect to the Playbar directly (though it must be in range to do so - ethernet connections on both are required otherwise) to operate as Surround speakers.

Although you can connect 4 speakers (if they’re 8 Ohms) to a Sonos Amp, they are not switchable, and all 4 will play. For your outdoor speakers, you could connect a second Amp, or connect your Yamaha and get a Sonos Port (cheaper than the Amp) to be the input to it so you can play Sonos sources outside (and synced with inside). This would also allow you to play sources connected to the Yamaha across your Sonos system (typically, you’d connect a Port to Tape In and Tape Out on the receiver, if available).

A cheaper option than an Amp would be to get a discontinued, second-hand Connect:Amp, though be sure to buy one that is S2 (our new control software version) compatible. If you get one of these, both it and the Playbar must be connected via ethernet.

I hope this helps, and if you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate.