Sonos Playbar and Wireless Headphones

• 26 December 2017
  • 3 replies

We recently bought a Sonos Playbar and Connect Amp. The latter is connected to wall speakers and the playbar is connected to the TV (Samsung MU 7000) vis optical cable. TV is run through a Fetch TV box. We have existing Sennheiser Wireless headphones (TR120) which we have used in the past to connect to the TV via an optical adapter. There is only 1 optical port into the samsung box.

I have read a few threads on the topic but still having issues on how to make the wireless headphones work easily to be able to mute the TV and use the headphones but have had no luck.

This is an outline of what we have tried below:

- We tried pruchasing an optical splitter which didn't work
- We have also purchased an optical Toslink switch (with 3x In and 1x out), however if I plug in the Sonos and headphones into different Input 'In' and a separate optical plug out to connect with the Samsung TV I get nothing on either
- I have tried plugging in the playbar as the out cable to the switch which then works for the playbar only through it's relevant switch but doesn't play for the headphones. I have also tried vice versa with the headphones i.e. the headphones will work but the playbar doesn't with the switch

I am trying to find a way for the headphones to work without having to physically unplug the playbar and replace with the headphones each time we want to switch.

I hope this is clear. Any suggestions on how to get the headphones to work?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
This should work with a Toslink switch but you'll need a One In (For your Fetch TV) and Three Out (For your TV, Headphones and Playbar)

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LPHJI4Q/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1
Thanks for the advice. I couldn't get it running through the Fetch TV with the Toslink Switch but your advice was invaluable as I hadn't considered the Fetch TV box as an option. I have now connected the Playbar directly to the Fetch box and connected the headphones to the TV box. I tried it the other way around but Netflix wouldn't work that way. It all works now and I didn't need any of the extra equipment. I hope this helps someone in the future.
P.S. I'm not sure if this technically affects the sound quality/synching but we can't tell... yet!