Sonos One Surround Placement (DIY)

• 20 February 2018
  • 3 replies

Badge
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to share my quick hack to get some placement of my Sonos 1 for my surround sounds. Due to the lack of reasonably priced and safe stands (have kids) I didnt care for the options out there. I decided, until then, I could make my own and place them behind my couch.

Essentially it's a 1x4 cut at an angle and a 6 inch piece to act as the speaker stand. The wood sits behind the couch cushion, I have sticky tape on the bottom of the Sonos 1 and route the cord through the couch.

It's not the prettiest, I could paint it but this was my first go. Also, if I redid it, I would have it sit slightly above the cushion, which would be accomplished by just making the angled piece longer, though it would be less stable since the couch back would no longer support it.

Thoughts?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Looks nice. I particularly like the way you thought to protect the edges so a kid doesn't run by and poke an eye out.

How long is the angled piece? Is it attached to the couch in any way. It looks as though pressing down on the sonos one would lift up the couch cushion if flip the whole thing on the floor, without a ton of effort. However, if the angled piece provides enough counter weight and/or it's secured to the couch, maybe not.
Badge
The longer piece is 21.5 inches. It goes past the seat cushion, so it's rather firm. You would need to apply serious weight to move it.
Lookin' good, D to the M! Might I suggest putting something under the speaker to lift the speaker (towards the bottom of the grille) above the couch cushion? It seems the cushion covers the bottom 1/3 of the speaker. Ideally, you want to keep the front of the speaker as open and less obstructed as possible. Then again, TruePlay may be able to help mitigate its placement.

As long as it sounds good to you, you're doing it right. Thanks for sharing!