Sonos needs updating to 7.2 Surround sound at least

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I really wish sonos would release a 7.2 Surround sound package I would prefer 11.2 But I guess that's pushing it And I wish I could hook up more subs for underneath the couch

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

19 replies

Userlevel 7

You can already add a second Sub to a Sonos home theater setup as long as one of them is a Sub (Gen 3). With the Arc, you could have a 5.2.2 setup.

Read more here:
https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4805?language=en_US

Anything could happen, but I’m doubtful this is on Sonos priority list.   The number of people who want to and have the means (electical outlets) to add two side speakers is relatively small.  And such a setup with 2 more wireless connections will naturally be a little less stable.  Then there is the fact that many of the people who can do 7 speakers will prefer a wired setup, with separate front speakers.

11 channels is certainly not going to happen.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Killer Systems Computers 

Thanks for your post! I've marked this thread as a feature request and it will be seen by the relevant teams for consideration.

Keep the ideas coming!

Userlevel 4
Badge

Nice idea, higher on priority for me would be a new Three to replace the Play:3 so I can use these for rear surrounds (Fives are overkill IMO) I would also like to have FL and FR via Ones - arc does create a good wide soundstage at the front but would prefer to widen it more and have dedicated FR and FL speakers

Nice idea, higher on priority for me would be a new Three to replace the Play:3 so I can use these for rear surrounds (Fives are overkill IMO) I would also like to have FL and FR via Ones - arc does create a good wide soundstage at the front but would prefer to widen it more and have dedicated FR and FL speakers

Play:3s  are overkill for the rear surrounds too.

Userlevel 4
Badge

ok, thanks for the feedback, I would just prefer a little more weight to the sound in the rear 

ok, thanks for the feedback, I would just prefer a little more weight to the sound in the rear 

You could always adjust the ‘TV Level’ and/or ‘Music Level’ slider controls in the ‘Surround Audio’ section of the HT room settings and put more emphasis on the Surround audio output.

Userlevel 4
Badge

You could always adjust the ‘TV Level’ and/or ‘Music Level’ slider controls in the ‘Surround Audio’ section of the HT room settings and put more emphasis on the Surround audio output.

thanks, its less the overall volume, would just prefer the slightly better/weightier/wider sound of a couple of ‘Three’s’.. I could be wrong I have never heard a Play:3 on rear, I just perceive these would make a better soundstage than a pair of Ones (particularly for Atmos Music)

Peter Pee on Youtube made an interesting video about how Sonos could utilise a new ‘Three’ in the surround setup

I have used play:3s in the past for surround. It don't think it adds much for surround sound duty. 

Are you using a sub or two subs?

What I want the most is to use Move as the surrounds, that’s the deal breaker for me to buy an Arc or Beam since I don’t want a permanent 7.1 or 5.1, my room isn’t suited for permanent surround speakers…. I saw the threads from 2 years ago claimed the wider sound stage of Move make it not suitable for use as a surrounds but after I compare the 5 and Move, it’s clearly has the same sound stage to me. Then why can’t the Move can be a surround?

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

They just need bigger upfiring rears. Auto trueplay calibration without having to walk round the room that's only apple compatible and to add DTS:HD/X. 

With Sony offering 360 spatial sound now on its soundbars with auto microphone calibration. Samsung using spacefit 2+ and LG using ai auto room calibration, all with every codec available. Sony is also 7.1.2 but can now utilise 12 phantom speakers, Samsung having  11.1.4ch and LG having 9.1.5. I feel Sonos need to step their game up. Will be interesting to see on all the above come around June time when they all out and been tested. Let's hope by then Sonos hits back with something. 

What I want the most is to use Move as the surrounds, that’s the deal breaker for me to buy an Arc or Beam since I don’t want a permanent 7.1 or 5.1, my room isn’t suited for permanent surround speakers…. I saw the threads from 2 years ago claimed the wider sound stage of Move make it not suitable for use as a surrounds but after I compare the 5 and Move, it’s clearly has the same sound stage to me. Then why can’t the Move can be a surround?

That’s only part of the reason.  The other part is that the Move doesn’t have the firmware, and  possibly hardware, to be bonded to the Arc.  And when it is bonded, than it can’t be easily used as separate Sonos room, without reconfiguration, retuning etc.  There are issue.  I’m not saying the technical issues cannot be overcome, but possibly not without different hardware, and definitely with firmware changes that would have a lot of other impacts.

They just need bigger upfiring rears. Auto trueplay calibration without having to walk round the room that's only apple compatible and to add DTS:HD/X. 

With Sony offering 360 spatial sound now on its soundbars with auto microphone calibration. Samsung using spacefit 2+ and LG using ai auto room calibration, all with every codec available. Sony is also 7.1.2 but can now utilise 12 phantom speakers, Samsung having  11.1.4ch and LG having 9.1.5. I feel Sonos need to step their game up. Will be interesting to see on all the above come around June time when they all out and been tested. Let's hope by then Sonos hits back with something. 

Are these all wireless speaker options, or is wired + phantom channels?  And I really don’t have a ton of faith in overuse of phantom channels, to be honest. There is only so much you can do to have sound appear to be coming from a certain location when it’s really not.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

That’s only part of the reason.  The other part is that the Move doesn’t have the firmware, and  possibly hardware, to be bonded to the Arc.  And when it is bonded, than it can’t be easily used as separate Sonos room, without reconfiguration, retuning etc.  There are issue.  I’m not saying the technical issues cannot be overcome, but possibly not without different hardware, and definitely with firmware changes that would have a lot of other impacts.

Are these all wireless speaker options, or is wired + phantom channels?  And I really don’t have a ton of faith in overuse of phantom channels, to be honest. There is only so much you can do to have sound appear to be coming from a certain location when it’s really not.

All wireless. Sony that uses the phantom channels not Samsung or LG. 

Ok, so we aren’t talking about actual separate speaker boxes for each of the 11 channels.  We’re talking about 2 channels from the rear boxes (4 counting upfiring)  and 9 channels from the front soundbar (11 counting upfring)?  

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Ok, so we aren’t talking about actual separate speaker boxes for each of the 11 channels.  We’re talking about 2 channels from the rear boxes (4 counting upfiring)  and 9 channels from the front soundbar (11 counting upfring)?  

Yeah, that would be some setup if all wireless and separate speakers 😅Maybe it will come in the future as if you have a new Samsung TV you can use the speakers without hdmi cables and connect wirelessly.

But yeah correct channel wise "With 11 front and surround channels, 1 subwoofer channel, and 4 up-firing channels, you get true 11.1.4ch"

I know LG also has a center upfiring channel on their new model. 

The phantom works quite well on the HT-A9. Surprisingly with no center channel you wouldn't notice. 

But hopefully Sonos adds new upfiring rears and possibly some form of auto sound calibration so you don't have to walk round the room anymore 😅

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Also hoping for this to come to sonos.. looking at the soundbars that are out now and incoming, I think the ARC could be getting left behind, needs as much feature adding to it as possible.. And hopefully some upfriring rear speakers are going to be announced end of May!

Yeah, that would be some setup if all wireless and separate speakers 😅Maybe it will come in the future as if you have a new Samsung TV you can use the speakers without hdmi cables and connect wirelessly.

But yeah correct channel wise "With 11 front and surround channels, 1 subwoofer channel, and 4 up-firing channels, you get true 11.1.4ch"

The phantom works quite well on the HT-A9. Surprisingly with no center channel you wouldn't notice. 

But hopefully Sonos adds new upfiring rears and possibly some form of auto sound calibration so you don't have to walk round the room anymore 😅

Although I can’t say I’ve done real side by side comparisons, adding additional audio channels doesn’t really excite me much.  For one thing, there isn’t a ton of content out there that can really use that, unless it’s simulated channels...which I’m not that interested in.  More importantly, besides the left, center, right channels, all other channels in the soundbar are done by bouncing audio off the walls. So not counting atmos, the 2 rear channels, 3 front channels...you have 6 audio channels bouncing off the walls, 3 on each side.  3 different angles that need to bounce off exactly the right spot to give you the impression that audio is coming from a certain angle.  You have to be sitting in exactly the right spot, with walls at the right location (no windows, furniture, etc changing things) to be able to hear it.  Or it’s some sort of psychoacoustic effect. 

I really am not all that keen on rear upfiring speakers either.  I don’t see that it’s going to be that much better in a typical home, than just 2 front upfiring speakers.

Honestly, this feels more like chasing stats more than actual improvements to the audio...but I could be wrong.

And to be clear, I’m not saying that these additional channels can’t improve sound.  I just think you need to have actual speakers placed in the right location rather than reflections on the walls.  You need to have a listening position more towards the center of the room to properly hear audio coming from the multiple directions.  And you need to have proper audio treatments to cut down on reflections.   Basically, I think there is diminishing returns on audio channels till you take a big leap in costs, etc to get the room right, and not all coming from a soundbar.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Although I can’t say I’ve done real side by side comparisons, adding additional audio channels doesn’t really excite me much.  For one thing, there isn’t a ton of content out there that can really use that, unless it’s simulated channels...which I’m not that interested in.  More importantly, besides the left, center, right channels, all other channels in the soundbar are done by bouncing audio off the walls. So not counting atmos, the 2 rear channels, 3 front channels...you have 6 audio channels bouncing off the walls, 3 on each side.  3 different angles that need to bounce off exactly the right spot to give you the impression that audio is coming from a certain angle.  You have to be sitting in exactly the right spot, with walls at the right location (no windows, furniture, etc changing things) to be able to hear it.  Or it’s some sort of psychoacoustic effect. 

I really am not all that keen on rear upfiring speakers either.  I don’t see that it’s going to be that much better in a typical home, than just 2 front upfiring speakers.

Honestly, this feels more like chasing stats more than actual improvements to the audio...but I could be wrong.

And to be clear, I’m not saying that these additional channels can’t improve sound.  I just think you need to have actual speakers placed in the right location rather than reflections on the walls.  You need to have a listening position more towards the center of the room to properly hear audio coming from the multiple directions.  And you need to have proper audio treatments to cut down on reflections.   Basically, I think there is diminishing returns on audio channels till you take a big leap in costs, etc to get the room right, and not all coming from a soundbar.

Nearly every new thing that comes out these days is in Dolby Atmos which can take advantage of the channels. I haven't heard Samsung or LG's previous models (or new ones as not out yet haha) but have managed to have a test of the Sony HT-A9. Can confirm that the upfiring rears do make a difference. The Atmos bubble on the HTA9 is superb and makes the Arc seem weak in that perspective. If you are purely a movie type of person I'd swap in a heartbeat, however for music and standard TV I'd still say the Sonos is cleaner. 

Always good to see new tech though, the new Samsung QD-OLED is reviewing really well, be interesting to see if Sony's will be much better when it's going to be about £1000 more. 

Just really hope something good comes out of the upcoming Sonos event. 

Badge

I would love to be able to add a left and right front speaker to compliment the arc . Also wish that I could use a sub with a stereo pair of ones or fives OR use the sub w/ the arc . Right now you can’t do this . I’d have to remove the sub then add it every time. This is a normal operation in any home theater receiver. I’m not complaining it’s just Sonos is missing out on some revenue