Sonos CEO Patrick Spence - I am a unhappy Sonos customer.

• 27 December 2018
  • 4 replies

Sonos CEO Patrick Spence,

I bought my Play 5 because of the wonderful sound that comes out of it. I also bought it knowing at some point I would be buying a 65 inch 4K HDTV and knowing that I have this beautiful sounding speaker it would sound wonderful together. Just finding out today from your Customer Service that I can not hook up my Play 5 to my new TV ruined my holiday. They both (Rep and Supervisor) insisted I have to purchase Sonos other speakers to hook up my new TV with. Here I think I'm already to hear beautiful sound from my TV only to find out that I can't. I wouldn't have bought the Play 5 knowing this. Your website does not explain this. This is not the first time having problems with my Play 5. The first one was to find out I couldn't use Spotify unless I pay for their premium package and then I had trouble after we moved trying to hook up my Play 5 in the new house that you had to send me another one. I was never told what was wrong with my first one. I am a unhappy Sonos customer and I will start putting reviews for Sonos as many places online as I can find so other customers don't do want I did and purchase a Sonos.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Why in the world would you think that the Play:5 is a soundbar? Do your homework!
Unhappy that you bought something for what it was never designed to do? So now a company has to list everything a product does not do as well as what it does? That is going to be one long product description . . . doesn't make waffles, doesn't do windows, doesn't fold laundry, doesn't feed the cat . . .

And just to let you know, the Play:5 does have a Line-In for outside audio. If your TV has analog outs, you can connect those. If not, an optical to RCA DAC will do the trick. You can pick one up at Amazon for under $20.

Also, the Play:5 is Airplay 2 capable. An Apple TV will send its audio to any Airplay 2 device.
Surprise surprise. If you want to use a Sonos speaker for a TV, you need to buy one that is designed and marketed as suitable for a TV.

I don't think Patrick Spence will be feeling guilty.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Sonos CEO Patrick Spence,

I bought my Play 5 because of the wonderful sound that comes out of it. I also bought it knowing at some point I would be buying a 65 inch 4K HDTV and knowing that I have this beautiful sounding speaker it would sound wonderful together. Just finding out today from your Customer Service that I can not hook up my Play 5 to my new TV ruined my holiday. They both (Rep and Supervisor) insisted I have to purchase Sonos other speakers to hook up my new TV with. Here I think I'm already to hear beautiful sound from my TV only to find out that I can't. I wouldn't have bought the Play 5 knowing this. Your website does not explain this. This is not the first time having problems with my Play 5. The first one was to find out I couldn't use Spotify unless I pay for their premium package and then I had trouble after we moved trying to hook up my Play 5 in the new house that you had to send me another one. I was never told what was wrong with my first one. I am a unhappy Sonos customer and I will start putting reviews for Sonos as many places online as I can find so other customers don't do want I did and purchase a Sonos.

Hi denvecsr,

The Play:5 has a line-input which can be used to feed audio into the Sonos system. This can be used to play audio from a TV, however there is a slight delay in the audio for this type of connection. This happens so the Sonos system can buffer and stream that audio to other Sonos speakers. While this delay isn't noticeable when playing audio from a turntable, or other audio device, it may not sync well with video. You can reduce the delay by setting the compression level to uncompressed, but for some the delay is still noticeable.

We released a few speakers specifically designed to play audio from TVs in a home theater setup. These speakers use optical or HDMI connections to receive audio from TVs with very low latency. Then the speakers use 5 ghz antennas to stream that low latency signal to other speakers if you have a surround setup. These things are used in order to reduce the audio delay so the video stays in sync. The Playbar, Beam and Playbase are designed to play audio in sync with videos.

If your TV has a stereo RCA, or line output, you can attach that to the line-input on your Play:5 to use it as a TV speaker. Here's some more information on using line-in with Sonos.

We also have a return policy which gives you quite a while to return or exchange your speaker if you'd like to switch out the Play:5 for one of our home theater speakers. If you'd like to do so, reach out to our phone team who can help. You can find our phone number and hours here. On that page you will also find a link to send feedback to our management team.