Answered

Sonos Beam won't detect CEC through Chromecast -> Arcana connection

• 6 November 2021
  • 4 replies

Hi everyone -

I’m trying to connect my Beam G2 to my Google Chromecast with TV, using an HDFury Arcana as the go-between.  (The HDMI out is going to a projector).

The HDMI ARC test in Sonos S2 app works fine, but when I get to the CEC test, it says “CEC not connected.”  I have verified in Chromecast settings that CEC is enabled.  

Help!  I’m not super technical so I may need any advice help translated into one syllable words.  For the Arcana I literally just took it out of the box and plugged everything in -- not sure if there’s some setting there I should be looking for.  Altho FWIW the little display says everything is connected and working.

Thanks!

Matt

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 6 November 2021, 22:53

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I suspect it’s looking for CEC from the projector.

You should be able to tell the Beam that you don’t have ARC. It will try to detect the optical adapter then fail, at which point you can skip out. It should however work. 

Note you will need to finish the remaining setup steps manually, including enabling Autoplay and configuring an IR remote. 

Userlevel 7

The Beam needs to be set up with a TV with HDMI ARC and CEC before you can use it with the Arcana.

From the Arcana user manual:

I cannot get any sound to a brand new/never used SONOS Arc from any source at Arcana input when Arcana is connected to a non CEC capable projector/monitor or display
In order to get audio from any sources at Arcana input, users of brand new/never used SONOS Arc must go through the APP setup process while connected to a CEC capable display, if you never when through the SONOS APP setup process with your SONOS Arc soundbar yet, please connect it to any HDMI display that offer CEC support and complete the SONOS APP setup process, once done you can connect it back in your setup with a non CEC capable display, monitor or TV and you will be able to get Full Audio from any source to SONOS Arc as expected. This SONOS restriction requires such initial setup first with CEC capable display. If your SONOS Arc has been setup before, then there is no need to set it up again after Arcana is connected and you can just proceed normally

The Beam needs to be set up with a TV with HDMI ARC and CEC before you can use it with the Arcana.

Strange. I have an Arcana working fine with a Beam and a TV that has no ARC or CEC. The Beam was never set up using a different TV. 

From the Arcana user manual:

I cannot get any sound to a brand new/never used SONOS Arc from any source at Arcana input when Arcana is connected to a non CEC capable projector/monitor or display
In order to get audio from any sources at Arcana input, users of brand new/never used SONOS Arc must go through the APP setup process while connected to a CEC capable display, if you never when through the SONOS APP setup process with your SONOS Arc soundbar yet, please connect it to any HDMI display that offer CEC support and complete the SONOS APP setup process, once done you can connect it back in your setup with a non CEC capable display, monitor or TV and you will be able to get Full Audio from any source to SONOS Arc as expected. This SONOS restriction requires such initial setup first with CEC capable display. If your SONOS Arc has been setup before, then there is no need to set it up again after Arcana is connected and you can just proceed normally

Thank you, this solution totally worked for me!  

I took the Beam upstairs to another TV, connected it to an HDMI ARC port, and it immediately completed the handshake and worked fine.  Then, I took the Beam back downstairs, reconnected it to the Arcana, and it was able to talk to the Chromecast fine. 

The volume controls even work too, so…  not sure what’s up with that.  I assumed the HDMI out on the Arcana was literally just an out and wouldn’t impact the CEC test from SONOS but I guess it did.

Anyway, it all works now so thanks to both of your for responding!

Matt