Skip to main content
Answered

Sonos Beam with Frame TV in great room with vaulted ceiling

• 8 June 2024
  • 2 replies

Hi all - 

I am planning my AV set up for rough wiring in a new build “great room” addition on a an old 1782 farmhouse and I need some advice. The room will be a half kitchen, half sitting area, with many windows/sliders on both North and South Walls. The ceiling is vaulted 14’ at peak, 8’ at the wall with 3 old timber tresses across and shiplap wood on the ceiling. The room is 18’ wide and 30’ long. At the sitting room end will be a small raised “hearth” with bookcases on either side of a Samsung Frame TV. Most of the time the TV will be in art mode in this room. But will be a handy space for a group to watch a movie. Plus we want music available. We are not too picky about great sound (I happily watch movies on my laptop). But we obviously want to be able to hear dialog etc. We really want the Frame to look like art most of time with occasional use of TV mode. Lots of natural light coming from the South windows so love the non-reflective nature of the Frame.

Current plan is a Sonos Beam bar ideally above the TV and below the soffit/display boxes - see picture. Wireless SubWoofer under an end table next to the seating. Might add Sonos speakers to the kitchen area in similar boxes at the other end of the room. 

Found discussion here about problems with bouncing sound off high ceilings, etc. and realize I am in way over my head here!  Any thoughts? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @SophE and congratulations on the amazing new space! Wow!

Sonos Arc will deliver much better sound than the smaller Beam, especially in a such a gigantic room. If you’re installing a 55-inch or larger Frame TV the Arc will fit nicely. And I’d strongly consider mounting the Arc below the television, as you really want it close to “ear level” for good dialog clarity. Adding a Sonos Sub is a great idea. Given that you’re not after room-shaking sound, the high ceilings ought not pose any problems. (The Dolby Atmos feature of the Arc won’t work particularly well, but you won’t hear any ill side effects.)

For the additional speakers you mention, look at Sonos Fives. (The Era 300s include the aforementioned Dolby Atmos feature, which your high ceilings pretty much take off the table.)

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Try before you buy. The new control app is terrible. You might not be able to use your expensive equipment