Question

Sonos Beam volume defaulting to low

• 7 November 2020
  • 7 replies

I have a Beam set up with two Play:1’s as surrounds. The volume seems to be low, and when I attempt to increase it, it keeps jumping back to the same low volume.

I’ve tried a factory reset. I’ve tried altering volume via the app, TV remote and on the physical volume controls on the Beam itself. I’ve tried it through Digital Optical and ARC connections. All with the same outcome.

When looking at the app, the volume keeps defaulting to a point about 1/5th of the way up the volume bar. I’ve checked and the Volume Limit setting is turned off.

Any ideas?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @j_edwardss, thank you for reaching out to us and welcome the Sonos community. I appreciate your detailed post describing the issue as well as the steps that you did. I’d be happy to help you all here and it would be best for those having trouble submitting a diagnostic report of your system for better understanding and see what would be best for the setup. Reply to us with the confirmation number. We and the community are always here to help. 

Hi @Rowena B. - my diagnostic confirmation is: 464423342

Thanks. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @j_edwardss, thank you for your response and for providing the diagnostic report. Let me help you out with this.

Based on the diagnostic, the report detected an HDMI fault in the system. This error could be caused by either, a bad HDMI cable, a bad ARC port on the connected source, or a bad port on the Beam.

We need to be sure that the current fault isn't occurring due to either a bad port on the TV or a bad cable. You mentioned that you have tried both optical and HDMI connections but still getting the same issue. Let me suggest the next steps to isolate the issue.

1. Have you tried using another HDMI or optical cable?
2. Disconnect other sources from your TV and leave the Sonos Beam connected. Is there any improvement?
3. Disconnect the HDMI cable from your TV and Sonos Beam. Unplug your TV and Beam from the power. Wait 30 seconds before your plug them in and re-connect the HDMI cable. Do you still encounter the same?

If you're still having the same problem, I recommend contacting our Sonos Customer Care support with your complete TV model number to continue working with us over the phone to expedite the process and to provide the best option for you.

If you have any questions about this. We and the community are always here to help.

Hi there. I’m actually having the same volume issue, but it’s when I’m using the streaming or satellite radio on my Beam. I did just get the app and software update earlier today and now I’m having this issue. Related? When I’m playing tv through beam no problem at all, only with streaming music. 

update: happens when trying to stream Amazon music as well. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @yobiebs, thank you for reaching back to the Sonos community. I appreciate you for providing us your concern. Let me help you with this.

First, I'd like to ask questions to isolate the issue so we can create a path towards resolution.

1. Do you experience the same on other music services?
2. On which speaker do you experience the issue? All or specific? 
3. Do you experience the same if you play music directly from the Music service app? AirPlay?
4. Have you tried removing and re-adding Amazon music service on the Sonos app?
5. Have you tried using another mobile controller? Did you encounter the same?
6. Are you using an iOS or Android device? What's the software version?

Let us know how you get on with the advice above and submit a diagnostic report. Kindly include the confirmation number in your response for us to check. 

If you have any questions about this. We and the community are always here to help.

Hello,

it was for a Beam only. I actually did a restart of my Beam and when I tested everything was back to normal with no issues. Thank you!

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @yobiebs, thank you for keeping us posted on this. I’m glad that your Sonos Beam is working now. If you encounter any issues in the future or if you have any questions, please feel free to reach back to us. The Sonos Community is always here to help.