Answered

Sonos Beam + Shield tv = no 5.0 surround sound

• 19 December 2018
  • 5 replies

Hi,

Today i received my second play 1 and i installed them as surround together with the beam.

Here is the situation.

My tv: Samsung UE48H6400

I use the shield tv for watching tv (iptv), netflix and kodi.

Shield tv -> HDMI 1
Sonos Beam -> HDMI Arc

When i watch something through netflix i do not get a surround sound. When i check about my sonos it says silence.

Can anyone help?
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 19 December 2018, 18:46

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Check both the Shield and the TV’s audio settings to make sure they’re set to Dolby Digital. This is supposed to be handled by HDMI-CEC, but the Shield may not be compliant.
Thank you for the quick reply.

The strange thing is i can not select the tv audio settings to Dolby Digital (it is greyed out), so i understand that the tv is not getting a dolby signal in otherwise it would be selectable.

In the meantime i tried the following:

1. I used the netflix app on the tv itself and then i get a 5.0 surround sound (great). And this time i do not have to select dolby digital on the tv audio because it is automatically selected.

So, somehow the Shield TV is not giving a signal to the tv which is recognized by the tv. I tried to use the optical cable what was delivered with the beam but the same problem exists.

Is there a work around for this?
I don’t know anything about the Shield, specifically. While there may be someone here who does, you may want to look for a Shield support forum, or contact them directly. Might be a quicker way to get an answer.
Okay thanks.

What if you have a tv without an DD option? What to do in that case? Is an hdmi switch an option?
Sure, an HDMI switch is always an option. But it wouldn't change the fact that the Shield appears not to be sending a Dolby Digital signal. The switch doesn't do any signal alteration/interpretation. I think you need to fix that issue first, before considering any other changes. You would be, in my opinion, just wasting money.