Sonos Beam Optical - Sound Cut Out / Stutter

• 2 December 2020
  • 5 replies

Badge

I have a brand new Sonos Beam with 2 surrounds (One & One SL) all Ethernet wired to a network with wireless disabled on all 3 speakers.

The sound from the TV source is constantly breaking up / stuttering momentarily which totally ruins the viewing experience. 

The beam is connected directly to the optical port of the Sky+HD Box using the optical / hdmi connector supplied with the beam. 

Optical out in the Sky Box is set to Dolby D. 

I am using the S2 Sonos app & have tried changing all available settings - audio compression etc. 

The problem still occurs if I remove the surrounds & just use the Beam. 

Please advise if there is a solution to this problem - I can submit diagnostics if it helps?

Thanks. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Badge

I have just submitted diagnostics :-

Your confirmation number is: 1208765397

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @Neil_S.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community since you already tried some troubleshooting steps let me try to assist you.

I suggest turning on the wifi feature on all of your devices, some customers had the same issue but when we tried to turn on the wifi the issue was fixed.

And no problem we've seen so far in the diagnostic report.

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Badge

Thanks @Mark P - but I have already tried turning on WiFi for all 3 devices & it made no difference to the problem. 

I have also since purchased a new Sky+ HD box as I wondered if the problem was a faulty optical port on the Sky Box.

The new Sky Box solved the problem for a couple of weeks, but the issue has now returned as before. 

The sound stutter only happens when viewing a tv program that is broadcast in Dolby Digital. If I switch the optical out setting on the Sky box to Normal instead of Dolby Digital, then there is no sound stutter/break up - but I bought the Sonos Beam to experience DD sound so this is not a solution. 

Looking at this forum, there are many users with this problem & appears that the Beam is not capable of outputting Dolby Digital. 

A very frustrating problem & I have now stopped using the Beam when viewing TV, as the sound problem ruins the viewing experince. If there is no solution to this issue then I will be returning the Beam for a refund. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @Neil_S.

Welcome, thank you for reaching back to Sonos Community.

Is it possible to Sky+ HD box, meaning connect the beam directly to the TV if possible?

Now if this issue still continues to stutter, I would like to recommend calling our customer phone support on this so you can be assisted with more thorough and in-depth troubleshooting steps.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Badge

Hi @Mark P

My TV doesn't have HDMI ARC so I have to connect direct to the Sky+ Box. 

I will contact your customer support. 

Thanks.