Question

Sonos Beam + LG OLED C9 via HDMI-ARC - Magic Remote can't turn TV power on / off with Beam connected

• 2 August 2019
  • 12 replies

I connected a Beam to my LG C9 OLED TV (US version) via HDMI-arc as recommended in Sonos app setup.

Using the LG Magic Remote I can control TV volume up/down and mute, but I can no longer turn the TV power on or off! The remote setup automatically via LG Device Connector, TV automatically setup the device to work as a universal remote.

Connecting the Beam also stopped my FireTV Stick 4K remote from controlling the LG TV volume and power on/off. After setting up the FTV Remote with Sonos manually via the Sonos App (Settings > Room Settings > Beam Room > Remote > Remote Control Setup), I was able to get volume up/down and mute working, but it still can't turn the LG TV power on/off.

The only solution I have to turning the TV on/off is asking Alexa, somehow that works but the remotes' power buttons have been disabled.

I've seen several posts on remote issues with LG (and others), no clear solutions. This Sonos article discusses using the LG Remote by using Optical connection and pretending the LG remote is a Philips. It doesn't have a solution for using HDMI-arc. https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3479?language=en_US

Adding Sonos Beam has broken some the most basic core functionality of the latest and greatest TV products, which is bizarre because the Beam is getting its commands from the TV/FTV Stick, not the other way around. How can the 'smartest soundbar' in the market not work with the 'smartest 2019 tv' using the recommended HDMI-arc connection?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Have you enabled simplink within the TV Settings. Also check the simplink options to see what other features are available, there maybe a setting saying 'TV Power on/off” or similar.

Any update on this? I’m also having issues with the C9 and the Beam, when ever I turn my tv on there’s lots of electronic noises that come through the beam. I know not the same issue as you’re having but somethings wrong with the C9 in my opinion, did t have any problems with the c8

Any update on this? I’m also having issues with the C9 and the Beam, when ever I turn my tv on there’s lots of electronic noises that come through the beam. I know not the same issue as you’re having but somethings wrong with the C9 in my opinion, did t have any problems with the c8

My OLED55C9PLA is working fine here with Sonos.i haven’t heard any noises from the TV speaker, Have you tried another HDMI-ARC cable between the Beam and HDMI Port 2. ?

Note also that a TV firmware update for the C9 was issued by LG on 21/10/2019 v 04.70.05.

Hope that assists.

My OLED55C9PLA is working fine here with Sonos.i haven’t heard any noises from the TV speaker, Have you tried another HDMI-ARC cable between the Beam and HDMI Port 2. ?

Note also that a TV firmware update for the C9 was issued by LG on 21/10/2019 v 04.70.05.

Hope that assists.

Hi,

Which Sonos do you have?

I’ve also the LG55C9PLA and I would buy a Sonos Beam but I want to ensure the perfect compatibility (in HDMI arc).

Thank you.

Hi,

Which Sonos do you have?

I’ve also the LG55C9PLA and I would buy a Sonos Beam but I want to ensure the perfect compatibility (in HDMI arc).

Thank you.

I use the 55” LG C9 TV with a Sonos Beam connected over HDMI-ARC together with two Play:1 surrounds and I know of two others who have used the 65” C9 with the Playbar over an optical connection, with no issues. The TV has a 'pass-through' option which is for the HDMI connected devices, which in my case are a VirginMedia V6 Cable TV Box, an Apple TV4 and a PlayStation. I use the built in Netflix, Amazon Movies, Now TV and other Apps too, ALL without a problem.

The TV not only supports HDMI-ARC, but it has a settings-option to switch the HDMI ports to the faster eARC, if required.

I just purchased Sonos Beam which is now connected to my LG Oled tv via HDMI ARC. I can control the sound volume with my LG Magic Remote device , but I cannot power on - off my TV with this device anymore ! 

Would appreciate help to resolve this issue. 

Thank you very much 

Hungsonos,

Have you done the following on the TV:

• Turned on Simplink, Auto Power Sync, Auto Device Detection
  • Setup the Beam in the LG Device Detector/Soundbar/Universal Remote (Search for Sonos manufacturer)

in the Sonos Beam Room Settings:

• Completed TV setup
  • Enabled IR and completed ‘Remote Control Setup'

Hello Keith, 

- Simplink is turned on. 

- I cannot find the screen to be used for soundbar detector, where it can be on the LG tv settings menu ?  

-  Note that LG Magic Remote device does not use IR, it’s using only RF and BlueTooth. I did try both alternatives ( IR enabled and not enabled) without success. 

Thank you 

Hello Keith, 

- Simplink is turned on. 

- I cannot find the screen to be used for soundbar detector, where it can be on the LG tv settings menu ?  

-  Note that LG Magic Remote device does not use IR, it’s using only RF and BlueTooth. I did try both alternatives ( IR enabled and not enabled) without success. 

Thank you 

It sounds like you have not yet setup the universal remote for the Playbar.. it will cause the magic remote to send an infrared signal to control the peripheral. Look for the device connector in the TV Settings it’s also available from the input selector and setup the remote in the Soundbar section.

Hungsonos,

Dont forget to search for 'Sonos, when you get to the manufacturers list for the Soundbar remotes.

Hungsonos,

Just got home and checked my LG C9 TV and it’s located at “Settings/Connection/Device Connector” and then choose your optical port to setup the universal remote for the device connected to that port, or select the HDMI-ARC port instead, if the HT device is connected via HDMI port 2.

Hungsonos,

For your Sonos Beam linked to HDMI 2 ARC, the connected universal remote settings should look exactly like this when the setup is complete. See attached screenshot.