SonoS Beam gen 2 with two rear speakers (SonoS one) no Dolby Atmos on Netflix

Badge

Hi there,

Recentely I bought the Sonos Beam gen 2 soundbar for my LG C1 tv. I connected it with a HDMI ARC cable and I made it surround with my two SonoS one's. The moment I wanted to experience the Dolby Atmos, I figured Netflix is only showing me Dolby Vision and no Dolby Atmos. The moment I unplug the soundbar Netflix is showing Dolby Atmos (since my tv supports this). I wonder if I am doing something wrong, but I thought Netflix would show me Atmos with this setup. Can somebody help me with this or explain why this isn't working?

If you need any more information, let me know!

Thank you in advance!

27 replies

Do you have a Netflix subscription that includes Atmos?  The lower levels of subscription don’t.  If that is OK, are you playing from an internal Netflix app or an HDMI source like a Fire Stick?

Badge

@John B 

Thank you for your reply! I do have the best subscription. If I unplug the soundbar it does show both Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos, but once I plug it in the Atmos disapears. The app is installed on the television (LG c1).

Are you using the HDMI cable supplied with the Beam?  Or another with adequate spec?

If you go ahead and play, what format does Sonos say it is playing?  (Now Playing screen or in About My System)

Badge

@John B 

I am using the hdmi that came with the beam and I use de Arc port. I am at work right now, but once I am home I will check what Sonos says!

You might also try the following TV settings (although not sure all are relevant to internal Netflix app)

On the TV, HDMI Input Audio Format should be set to 'Bitstream'. Set Digital Sound Output to ‘Pass through’ or ‘Auto’. eARC Support should be turned on.

Badge

@John B 

That might also be a good solution. I will try all your advices, thank you! I will let you know later today if it worked.

Userlevel 7

Also check your Netflix settings online.

Click on your Netflix profile pic in top right, select Account > expand Profile & Parental Controls > Playback Settings > check High

Badge

@Mr. T

Thank you. I checked it and it is already set on HIGH. While I am watching a movie, the TV shows the Dolby Vision and the Dolby Atmos. But once I plug the soundbar HDMI in the eArc port, it only shows Dolby Vision. So I think the TV does not recognize the soundbar as an device that supports Dolby Atmos.

@Mr. T

Thank you. I checked it and it is already set on HIGH. While I am watching a movie, the TV shows the Dolby Vision and the Dolby Atmos. But once I plug the soundbar HDMI in the eArc port, it only shows Dolby Vision. So I think the TV does not recognize the soundbar as an device that supports Dolby Atmos.

Or your settings are stopping it sending Atmos to the soundbar.  Or telling it Atmos isn’t required.

Badge

@John B 

Yes. I will try to change the settings and follow your advice! Hopefully this will work. I am looking forward to experiencing Dolby Atmos.

I won’t promise my suggestions will work.  There are other Community members who are better at the AV stuff than I am.  I am very confident that you will get Atmos out of your setup, but not so confident that it will be my suggestions that get you there!

And don’t forget to check what Sonos says it is getting first.

Badge

@John B 

Well, it is worth the try and I really appreciate your help. The other community members can also see my post, right? Or is that on another forum?

@John B

Well, it is worth the try and I really appreciate your help. The other community members can also see my post, right? Or is that on another forum?

Everyone can see it.

Badge

Are you using the HDMI cable supplied with the Beam?  Or another with adequate spec?

If you go ahead and play, what format does Sonos say it is playing?  (Now Playing screen or in About My System)

@John B 

When I am playing content that is available in Dolby Atmos (but isn’t showing) the app says that its in ‘stereo pcm’. Once I set my Digital sound output on Automatic, the Dolby Atmos appears! Also the app changes to: Dolby multichannel PCM 2.0. Is this what it is supposed to say?

Thank you! 

No I would not have expected tbat.  In About My System for the Arc Audio In I would have expected  Dolby Atmos (DD+).

Did you change the other settings as suggested?

Badge

@John B 

Hm okay. I did change the settings, but I could not find the ‘bitstream’ setting. I am wondering what the problem is.

I suspect that that setting won't have any effect with an internal app. 

Is your TV updated to the latest firmware?

Don't know if this will help..

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/64066

Badge

@John B 

It is fully updated. I see sometimes it is multichannel 5.1

Userlevel 7

When I am playing content that is available in Dolby Atmos (but isn’t showing) the app says that its in ‘stereo pcm’. Once I set my Digital sound output on Automatic, the Dolby Atmos appears! Also the app changes to: Dolby multichannel PCM 2.0. Is this what it is supposed to say?

If you see the Dolby Atmos logo on Netflix, are you then actually selecting the title to play? The preview is only in Dolby Multichannel PCM2.0. Need to start the programme, then check the audio quality in the Sonos app.

Badge

If you see the Dolby Atmos logo on Netflix, are you then actually selecting the title to play? The preview is only in Dolby Multichannel PCM2.0. Need to start the programme, then check the audio quality in the Sonos app.

Hi @Mr. T 

Yes I am selecting the title to play. I am considering re-installing the soundbar, but I am not sure if that will work.

I doubt very much that reinstalling the Beam will help, but you could try.  I am running out of ideas.  There are some oddities around in the combination of streaming service, TV and source device.  For example, You can’t get Dolby Atmos on Netflix from some older FireSticks.  So it might be worth getting a free trial of Disney+ if you can and see if you can get Atmos on there.  It would be a useful eliminator whether you got Atmos or not.

Badge

I doubt very much that reinstalling the Beam will help, but you could try.  I am running out of ideas.  There are some oddities around in the combination of streaming service, TV and source device.  For example, You can’t get Dolby Atmos on Netflix from some older FireSticks.  So it might be worth getting a free trial of Disney+ if you can and see if you can get Atmos on there.  It would be a useful eliminator whether you got Atmos or not.

That sounds like a legit idea. Once I am home, I will try this out! I also started a new form, because I accidentally stated this one as Answered. 

Thank you!

I also started a new form, because I accidentally stated this one as Answered. 

Just for future reference, it isn’t good practice to start duplicate threads.  And having a thread flagged as answered won’t stop most people from looking at it.  You should at least reference the original thread so that people don’t make the same suggestions all over again.  It is understandable that you wouldn’t know this - I am not having a go at you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @sjimbob 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I have unmarked the Best Answer on this thread, and closed the duplicate threads.

Have you had any success yet?