Sonos Beam 'forgetting' sound level

• 25 March 2021
  • 8 replies

Badge

We have a Humax that feeds our Samsung TV which then feeds via optical our Sonos Beam.  We are finding that gradually day-by-day, we have to turn the volume on the Humax higher and higher. Eventually we can go no higher and so we manually adjust the sound level using the control on the Beam to raise the volume. Then we can then reduce the sound level from the Humax.  So it seems as if the Beam gradually decides by itself t become less and less ‘sensitive’.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

If your Samsung TV is anything like mine, the optical output is at a fixed level. You should therefore be adjusting volume only on the Beam (via infra red remote) not elsewhere.

It sounds like you may have trained the Beam using the Humax remote, and now both the Humax and the Beam are reacting to the remote’s volume buttons.

Badge

Thank you for the quick reply.  It is possible that the Beam has been trained to respond to the Humax control .  But if that were the case then surely a signal sent to the Humax to turn up the volume would also tell the Beam to turn up the volume.

Is there anyway to check if the Beam has been set-up for the Humax control and if so how to delete that ?

TIA

The Beam may have been exposed to remote button presses when it wasn’t actually playing anything. This can result in the volume going down, but not back up.

There’s no way for the user to see which IR codes the Beam is trained for. You can however re-train it via Settings/System/(room)/Remote Control Setup. As a general rule it’s a bad idea to have multiple devices respond to the same remote volume buttons.

Badge

I understand what you’re saying.  But the Beam doesn’t come with its own remote !

I understand what you’re saying.  But the Beam doesn’t come with its own remote !

Indeed. 

Which remote do you mainly use? If it’s the Humax one, then you may be able to program it with a make of TV. In that case I’d recommend configuring it for Sony, then training the Beam with that. The TV won’t react, the Humax shouldn’t react, and only the Beam should respond.

Badge

Way, way too complicated.  I’d be divorced. I suspected that responding to remote commands was the reason.  I appreciate your help but we’ll live with it .   

It’s worth persevering. I’ve managed to keep things simple for the other half by judicious configuring of remotes.

Ours is a not dissimilar situation. An external box (BT YouView), into a Sony TV, with a Beam. We happen to use OneForAll remotes, but the principle is the same: the remote is programmed to control the BT box, with its volume buttons issuing Samsung TV volume codes. The Beam is trained with those codes; the TV and BT box ignore them.

Badge

Many thanks, again.  I’ve bookedmarked this thread and when my TUIT list gets a bit shorter…..