Answered

Sonos Beam and DTS HD MA

Badge
Hey guys,

So I'm thinking of getting the Sonos Beam + Sub, connected to my Sony KD49EX9005 via HDMI Arc playing Plex Media Player.
But I have some questions on audio streams. Lets say I have a movie that only has DTS HD MA or one of the other unsupported audio formats what will happen?
Will Sonos or the TV auto convert into a playable format? Or will it just do whitenoise?

My main issue is I kinda need to go wireless, and dont NEED my current 5.1 setup. If I did I'd defo need new speakers which pretty much costs the same and I'm about to move so dont want to run speaker cable everywhere. There are plug sockets around the back if I decided to add 2x Play:1's or so for 5.1 Sonos setup.

Thanks
icon

Best answer by MikeV 11 June 2018, 13:08

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Badge
Anyone at all have any ideas?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Apparently only Atmos will be down coded to DD5.1 over HDMI. So that will work ok.
All other higher codecs you will get no sound out of the Beam connected to the tv via HDMI, Unless
you can set tv optical output to pcm, and use the tv optical output (use the included optical to HDMI lead the beam comes with),.....then you might get stereo.... maybe
If you buy direct from sonos you get 100days to try it out, or return for a full refund.
Badge
Man that would really REALLY suck if it didnt work...
I have a lot of rips that are ripped with only HD MA or other higher res codecs.
I dont mind if it down samples but it needs to play at least 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Depending on the device you're using to run Plex, it might have an option to downconvert (the device, not the Plex app)... for example, I run Plex on my Xbox One... the Xbox itself has a setting to ensure all audio output is in DD 5.1. So regardless of what format the source is, and whether or not Plex transcodes it to something else, the console will always make sure that it sends out a DD 5.1 audio signal. If the source is stereo then it'll send DD 2.0.

Apple TV has a similar option in its settings.

If you're using a Plex app built into your TV, there may not be such an option... but check the settings of the Plex app on your TV just in case.
Badge
The Sony has android TV so should be able to install the Plex app there but its slow and clunky.
I have an NVIDIA Shield, but I hate the layout of Plex, only use it for the 4k content as the NUC chugs.

So what I actually use is a Intel NUC running Plex Media Player, for 95% of content.

Would any of these options work?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I'm guessing you're running Windows on the NUC...not sure if Windows has an option for always outputting DD... but there's no doubt that it should always be able to output PCM. So you should always get audio from the NUC, even if it's just stereo (you didn't mention anything about rear speakers, so that may not be an issue)... not sure about the Shield though.
Badge
Nope running Plex Media Player its like LibreELEC where it just boots into PMP as a stand alone device.

I do want to add 2x Play Ones in the future for 5.1.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I've never looked at PMP, so I don't know what its options are. I have a spare mini PC lying around though, so I might give it a try (it doesn't have HDMI though, so I'd have to figure out how to get it all connected).

I'd be surprised if the Shield didn't have such an option, but have never used one of those either.
Badge
Ok perfect! My TV and stuff is in storage as I'm moving, so will take a look in the next few weeks.
Will try the 100 day returns from Sonos and see if it works or not.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
When you get your stuff unpacked and set up, check through the audio settings in PMP. There's definitely a setting for Dolby Digital/AC3 audio. I would imagine if that's the only thing checked, all your audio (except for music, most likely) would be output in Dolby Digital 2.0 or 5.1.
Badge
So is there a list of what Sonos does currently support?
And what it doesnt?

Also... As it now has HDMI, could/would they upgrade it to allow more audio profiles to work?