Answered

Sonos beam 5.1 system and HTPC

• 2 August 2018
  • 1 reply

So I just got a Sonos beam 5.1 system (with 2 play 1's, 1 sub and the beam). I connected the the sound system to the ARC port of my sharp smart TV (roku). I get 5.1 surround sound on shows on the Netflix app as expected. Now I'm trying to get sound out of my HTPC with an NVIDIA 1070. Right now my PC is connected to an HDMI port on my smart TV but the sound is coming out of the TV speakers instead of the Sonos system, when I revert back to the Netflix app I get the 5.1 surround sound again.
icon

Best answer by Kevin_Meat_Grinder 10 August 2018, 07:08

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

The only way to get sound coming out of your PC is to use the HDMI/Optical adapter connected to the optical output of your PC's motherboard which will connect to the beam using an HDMI cable. Then right click your sound icon on the bottom right section of your taskbar and click on playback devices. Set the digital audio (S/PDIF) as default device. Now you can either set up a 5.1 surround using the beam, sub and two play one's, or play 3's or play 5's. Or you can perform a multi channel stereo or multi channel non stereo by simply grouping as many speakers as your heart desires. If you want to get multi channel stereo just pair up speakers first, then tune them using truplay tuning and subsequently group them. I've tried this and I don't hear any delays when grouping multiple speakers to the beam.