Sonos Arc with UHD Blue Ray player with Video and Audio outputs

Userlevel 2

Okay I have a Sony TV with an arc HDMI port. I recently bought the Sonos ARC and an UHD Blueray player with  two outputs a separate video and an audio output.

I can connect the Sonos ARC to the HDMI arc port and the BD video output to a TV HDMI port.

Where do i connect the BD audio output to. I have a three port switch. At the moment I am not getting Dolby Atmos sound from any of the Blueray discs that have Dolby Atmos printed on the cover.

A simple sketch would be appreciated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @Sharog.

Thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community.

I just want to clarify something, when you're playing directly to your Blueray player is the sound is still coming from Sonos ARC or from the TV itself?

You may also find this support document-link worth a read. Click Here.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Okay I have a Sony TV with an arc HDMI port. I recently bought the Sonos ARC and an UHD Blueray player with  two outputs a separate video and an audio output.

I can connect the Sonos ARC to the HDMI arc port and the BD video output to a TV HDMI port.

Where do i connect the BD audio output to. I have a three port switch. At the moment I am not getting Dolby Atmos sound from any of the Blueray discs that have Dolby Atmos printed on the cover.

A simple sketch would be appreciated.

The Sonos Arc expects - and requires - to get its audio from an HDMI-ARC or eARC port from your television. 

The ONLY way to hook up your BD player to the Arc (currently - more on that in a sec) is via your TV: 

BD Player > TV > Sonos Arc (via TV’s HDMI-ARC or eARC port)

Or, if you want to use your switch and other external HDMI devices : 

BD Player / Other Devices > Switch > TV > Sonos Arc (via TV’s HDMI-ARC or eARC port) 

You CAN NOT hook the BD player directly up to the Arc and get audio. It doesn’t work that way. 

You also WILL NOT get Atmos from your BD player UNLESS your TV has an eARC port, which very few currently do. 

(Short version why: Atmos on BD only happens over Dolby TrueHD which requires more bandwidth than a regular HDMI-ARC port can handle. Google it or look around these forums - there’s lots of posts on this topic)

The workaround to be able to get Atmos from your BDs if your TV DOESN’T have eARC is the HD Fury Arcana (https://www.hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/) available for pre-order now. Again, there are many posts explaining what this is and what it does. 

Hope this helps. 

Userlevel 2

Thank you Highfalutintodd and Mark P for your replies. 

I do not think you are correct when you say you will only get ATMOS through an eARC port on a TV.

I have seen several Youtube clips where the presenter says you can get ATMOS through an ARC output but it will only be Dolby Digital+  lossy and not DolbyTrue HD lossless.

Well my Sony TV KDL 55HX850 can out put Dolby Digital+ and has an ARC port to which my Sonos arc is connected. When I play the TV trough the Sonos arc and several other Sonos speakers, I do not see ATMOS on the Sonos app

My UHD BD player is connected to a normal HDMI port on the TV and I play Bluray discs that have ATMOS stamped on the disc cover so should be outputting ATMOS. As per the Youtube clips I should be getting ATMOS out of my Sonos but I do not see it.

Incidentally I have ordered the ARCANA through HDFury. Cannot wait for them to start shipping.

Userlevel 3
Badge

It is not what your TV will output but what it will pass through from the inputs. My LG TV will output DD+ but unhelpfully filters any DD+ input as it tries to process it internally.

ARC = max DD+ = compressed Dolby Atmos only if passed through.

eARC = FullHD = full uncompressed Atmos. There is still the chance for the TV manufacturer to screw up the audio passed through the TV though even with eARC.

The DD+ output in your case is only relevant for apps internal to the TV.

The HDFury Arcana will allow your Blu-ray player to bypass the TV and send it’s audio straight to the Arc (hence full Dolby Atmos). As an added bonus it will now also allow CEC control of the TV/Arc/player so it should be close to a seamless implementation (as we might have hoped Sonos could have designed for us from the outset).

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

I do not think you are correct when you say you will only get ATMOS through an eARC port on a TV.

I didn’t say that. At all. 

I DID say that it’s the only way you’ll get Atmos from a Blu-ray Disc to your Sonos Arc. 

I have seen several Youtube clips where the presenter says you can get ATMOS through an ARC output but it will only be Dolby Digital+  lossy and not DolbyTrue HD lossless.

They’re not wrong. That’s also not what you originally asked. 

You asked how to hook up a two-output UHD BD player to your Sonos Arc via your non-eARC Sony TV in order to get Atmos. I told you, correctly, that is impossible.

And, yes, you CAN get Atmos over regular HDMI-ARC, and many of us are. See below for more detail on this point. 

Well my Sony TV KDL 55HX850 can out put Dolby Digital+ and has an ARC port to which my Sonos arc is connected. When I play the TV trough the Sonos arc and several other Sonos speakers, I do not see ATMOS on the Sonos app

Well, that’s awesome. It also doesn’t mean you’re necessarily going to get Atmos due to a variety of factors (are you using an external  or internal source, does that source supports Atmos, is your TV re-encoding the audio or successfully passing the Atmos metadata, etc. etc., etc.). 

It DOES mean that you MAY get Atmos under certain circumstances. For example, if your TV has a built-in Netflix app (that also supports Atmos ON YOUR PARTICULAR MODEL), then you very well may be able to get Atmos to your Sonos Arc via your regular HDMI-ARC port. 

But regarding Blu-rays....

My UHD BD player is connected to a normal HDMI port on the TV and I play Bluray discs that have ATMOS stamped on the disc cover so should be outputting ATMOS. As per the Youtube clips I should be getting ATMOS out of my Sonos but I do not see it.

You’re missing something important that I stated in my original response but I will try again: 

Atmos is just spatial metadata passed over another audio codec. It can be passed over Dolby Digital Plus (a “lossy” codec used on all streaming services) or Dolby TrueHD (a “lossless” codec basically only used on Blu-ray / 4K Blu-ray). Either way, it’s Atmos. 

The Arc supports Atmos over either codec. In a nutshell: 

Dolby Digital Plus + Atmos

• Type: Lossy / low-bandwidth
  • HDMI-ARC: Yes
  • eARC: Yes
  • Available on: Compatible streaming platforms and content

Dolby TrueHD + Atmos

• Type: Lossless / high-bandwidth
  • HDMI-ARC: No
  • Available on: Blu-ray Disc, UHD Blu-ray Disc 

So, to clearly reiterate, YOU NEED A TV WITH AN EARC PORT IF YOU WANT ATMOS FROM A BLU-RAY DISC. WHY? BECAUSE DOLBY TRUE HD TAKES UP TOO MUCH BANDWIDTH FOR REGULAR HDMI-ARC.

(Reminder: Just because something is in Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby TrueHD DOES NOT mean that it will ALSO be in Atmos.)

Incidentally I have ordered the ARCANA through HDFury. Cannot wait for them to start shipping.

Incidentally, this is the only way you’ll get TrueHD/Atmos from a Blu-ray Disc to your Sonos Arc without buying a new TV. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

It is not what your TV will output but what it will pass through from the inputs. My LG TV will output DD+ but unhelpfully filters any DD+ input as it tries to process it internally.

ARC = max DD+ = compressed Dolby Atmos only if passed through.

eARC = FullHD = full uncompressed Atmos. There is still the chance for the TV manufacturer to screw up the audio passed through the TV though even with eARC.

The DD+ output in your case is only relevant for apps internal to the TV.

The HDFury Arcana will allow your Blu-ray player to bypass the TV and send it’s audio straight to the Arc (hence full Dolby Atmos). As an added bonus it will now also allow CEC control of the TV/Arc/player so it should be close to a seamless implementation (as we might have hoped Sonos could have designed for us from the outset).

What he said^^^

Userlevel 2

Thank you Highfalutintodd for your in depth reply. Sorry I might have not explained correctly what I was trying to achieve.

I bought a Sonos ARC and a UHD BD player after seeing that my Sony TV had an HDMI arc port. I thought (wrongly) that was all I needed to get ATMOS. Looks like there are other factors in play. 

Ah well I will just have to wait for my ARCANCA to arrive to enjoy ATMOS

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I didn’t say that. At all. 

I DID say that it’s the only way you’ll get Atmos from a Blu-ray Disc to your Sonos Arc. 

They’re not wrong. That’s also not what you originally asked. 

You asked how to hook up a two-output UHD BD player to your Sonos Arc via your non-eARC Sony TV in order to get Atmos. I told you, correctly, that is impossible.

And, yes, you CAN get Atmos over regular HDMI-ARC, and many of us are. See below for more detail on this point. 

Well, that’s awesome. It also doesn’t mean you’re necessarily going to get Atmos due to a variety of factors (are you using an external  or internal source, does that source supports Atmos, is your TV re-encoding the audio or successfully passing the Atmos metadata, etc. etc., etc.). 

It DOES mean that you MAY get Atmos under certain circumstances. For example, if your TV has a built-in Netflix app (that also supports Atmos ON YOUR PARTICULAR MODEL), then you very well may be able to get Atmos to your Sonos Arc via your regular HDMI-ARC port. 

But regarding Blu-rays....

You’re missing something important that I stated in my original response but I will try again: 

Atmos is just spatial metadata passed over another audio codec. It can be passed over Dolby Digital Plus (a “lossy” codec used on all streaming services) or Dolby TrueHD (a “lossless” codec basically only used on Blu-ray / 4K Blu-ray). Either way, it’s Atmos. 

The Arc supports Atmos over either codec. In a nutshell: 

Dolby Digital Plus + Atmos

• Type: Lossy / low-bandwidth
  • HDMI-ARC: Yes
  • Available on: Compatible streaming platforms and content

Dolby TrueHD + Atmos

• Type: Lossless / high-bandwidth
  • HDMI-ARC: No
  • Available on: Blu-ray Disc, UHD Blu-ray Disc 

So, to clearly reiterate, YOU NEED A TV WITH AN EARC PORT IF YOU WANT ATMOS FROM A BLU-RAY DISC. WHY? BECAUSE DOLBY TRUE HD TAKES UP TOO MUCH BANDWIDTH FOR REGULAR HDMI-ARC.

(Reminder: Just because something is in Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby TrueHD DOES NOT mean that it will ALSO be in Atmos.)

Incidentally, this is the only way you’ll get TrueHD/Atmos from a Blu-ray Disc to your Sonos Arc without buying a new TV. 

Excellent description!

I too have ordered the Arcana, currently have a V6 box, Samsung M9000 (for DTS) and my OPPo 203 plugged into the LG B7 which is then Hdmi 2 (Arc) this is giving me quality sound but it is DD+ at best. I dream of the Arcana allowing me full Atmos and hopefully without having to get a switcher as well. 

I’m looking for some help. I have just received my new Arc and I’m only getting Dolby digital 5.1 And not the plus that I think I should be getting.

I have an hdmi arc and not an earc so not expecting atmos. 
my LG tv tells me it can give Dolby digital and DD+. 
I’m streaming from the tv apps either Netflix or Disney+

Thanks

I just went through 2 hours of setting this up and...the solution (for me) was so easy it made me mad.

TLDR - if your tv supports 4k Dolby passthrough you only want to connect the video/audio cable to your tv through an ARC port using a HDMI 2 or 2.1 cable and have your Sonos Arc connected to your tv through the eARC port. Sound will get to your Sonos system through Dolby audio passthrough.

In my setup I have:

• Sony UBP-X700 4k blu ray player
    • 2 HDMI out ports (one for video/audio and one for audio)
      • Only the audio/video HDMI is plugged into my TV with a HDMI 2.1 cable (48 Gbps)
  • Sony 85X900H (2020) TV
    • 4 HDMI ports
      • eARC on HDMI 3
      • Others just Arc
    • Dolby passthrough is supported
  • Sonos Arc + Sub (gen 3) + 2 surround One SLs
    • Arc is connected to Sony TV using eARC and HDMI 2.1 cable (48 Gbps)

You'll have to get the settings correct to passthrough Dolby audio, but I was able to get Dolby Atmos while watching Thor on 4k blu ray.

After fighting with my tv, blu ray player, and Sonos Arc the solution was to remove the audio only cable. If your system is able to support audio and video in the same port (i.e. 4k - most new tvs can) then you only need a HDMI 2.0 cable to get 4k and Dolby audio. I went with HDMI 2.1 because I don't want to run wires in my wall again - I anticipate upgrading to 8k in the next 10 years.

I couldn't find any info on the internet on how to hook this up exactly. The only way I figured it out was a graphic in the Sony UBP-X700 user manual that referenced only using the audio/video HDMI with a 4k AV receiver. So...I tried that and it worked instantly.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi

I now have the Arcana and can now get DD+ from all the TV apps like Netflix, Disney etc

I now also get full fat Atmos via my OPPO 203 and Samsung M9000.

Thanks to the LPCM fix i can now get 5.1 DD from DTS discs via the OPPO if i don’t want to use the Samsung.

Very happy with it.

So, to clearly reiterate, YOU NEED A TV WITH AN EARC PORT IF YOU WANT ATMOS FROM A BLU-RAY DISC. WHY? BECAUSE DOLBY TRUE HD TAKES UP TOO MUCH BANDWIDTH FOR REGULAR HDMI-ARC.

@Highfalutintodd

This is not true and is misleading. It will depend on what is playing the Blu-ray disc. XBOX ONE x is very good at this.

Example,

xbox one x to TV via regular HDMI

TV to sonos arc via HDMI ARC

If you play a 4K Blu-ray with Atmos in this setup, the TV will pass a DD+ to sonos arc and Atmos will be achieved albeit in a lossy format.

DD+ is not limited to streaming services. Yes TrueHD sending lossless Atmos can only be achieved through eArc but that is not what you are saying above and I think it’s necessary to comment to remove any ambiguity.

In short getting Atmos from a blu-ray disc does not only require eArc as it can be achieved through DD+.