Answered

Sonos Arc with Older TV

• 4 June 2020
  • 1 reply

Badge

Currently I have a 4k firestick plugged into an HDMI extractor, which splits to an HDMI to my tv and optical cable to my playbar.  This allows me to get DD5.1, as my tv doesn’t pass through DD5.1 through optical connection.  Now on to the Arc.  I am wondering if i simply swap the playbar with the arc, will i still get DD5.1 from the firestick?

Doing a bunch of searches and i see that i simply can’t use an HDMI splitter to send an HDMI signal to my tv and the arc as the splitter won’t communicate with the HDMI-ARC input.  Looking for some feedback on the below options:

1. Use the same setup i have now and use the optical adapter with the arc.  Only able to receive DD5.1, not Atmos and not sure if this is compatible?  Is this worth the upgrade?
  2. Use the firestick with an HDMI EDID attached to my tv and then an HDMI cable from the HDMI-ARC to sonos arc (tv only supports Dolby Digital, not plus or higher so only 5.1 still),
  3. Will an HDMI EDID manager have any impact on the splitter being able to have the proper “handshake” with the HDMI-ARC input on the sonos arc?  Thinking along the lines of this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M3SH3CL/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 
  4. Is there any device out there that can convert an HDMI input to an HDMI video output and an HDMI-ARC audio output?

I pre-ordered one and now i just want to make sure that i will be able to use it properly upon arrival or if i should cancel the order.

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 4 June 2020, 20:23

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Currently I have a 4k firestick plugged into an HDMI extractor, which splits to an HDMI to my tv and optical cable to my playbar.  This allows me to get DD5.1, as my tv doesn’t pass through DD5.1 through optical connection.  Now on to the Arc.  I am wondering if i simply swap the playbar with the arc, will i still get DD5.1 from the firestick?

Yes you will.  

Doing a bunch of searches and i see that i simply can’t use an HDMI splitter to send an HDMI signal to my tv and the arc as the splitter won’t communicate with the HDMI-ARC input.  Looking for some feedback on the below options:

1. Use the same setup i have now and use the optical adapter with the arc.  Only able to receive DD5.1, not Atmos and not sure if this is compatible?  Is this worth the upgrade?

Yes, that would work.  Is it worth it?  That’s a subjective question, and hard for anyone to really answer since the products not released yet.  You certainly could give it a try and return it if you don’t think the improved sound is worth the cost.

1. Use the firestick with an HDMI EDID attached to my tv and then an HDMI cable from the HDMI-ARC to sonos arc (tv only supports Dolby Digital, not plus or higher so only 5.1 still),

I don’t think this helps you really.  Doesn’t seem to generate an ARC signal.

1. Will an HDMI EDID manager have any impact on the splitter being able to have the proper “handshake” with the HDMI-ARC input on the sonos arc?  Thinking along the lines of this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M3SH3CL/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 
  2. Is there any device out there that can convert an HDMI input to an HDMI video output and an HDMI-ARC audio output?

No, there hasn’t bee a device reported that can do that yet.  There was one that can take an optical signal and convert it to ARC, but that doesn’t really give you anything that the included optical adapter does.

And technically the device needs to take an HDMI input, pass HDMI output, and send audio through HDMI-ARC input (not output).  ARC (Audio Return Channel) flows in the opposite direction than normal HDMI signals.

I pre-ordered one and now i just want to make sure that i will be able to use it properly upon arrival or if i should cancel the order.

Thanks!

My guess is that it will be worth it.  Press reviews seem to think that it is.  And possibly a device to allow for Atmos content will come along eventually, or you decide to upgrade your TV.  Buying from Sonos does give you a return policy.