Answered

Sonos Arc Samsung Frame TV eARC not working

Show first post

668 replies

I can’t believe Sonos has allowed these issues to continue for so long without offering a fix to the community. I am also experiencing dropped audio with my setup (Samsung Frame TV 2021, Sonos Arc/sub/ikea bookshelf speakers) and have spent hours on the phone with Sonos support - no luck.

I bought these products because I assumed they were of a certain quality but it appears not. Super disappointed.

Have you opdated your tv with the firmware version available on Samsungs support website?

This solved all issues for me.

Yep - just did that this morning, no luck. I don’t think I have come across such a glitchy system in a very long time. I have power cycled 5 times, run Ethernet through the attic and down to the Arc, changed every imaginable setting…..and nothing. I cannot get the system to function consistently. I am dumbfounded as to why Sonos has such a strong reputation. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I can’t believe Sonos has allowed these issues to continue for so long without offering a fix to the community. I am also experiencing dropped audio with my setup (Samsung Frame TV 2021, Sonos Arc/sub/ikea bookshelf speakers) and have spent hours on the phone with Sonos support - no luck.

I bought these products because I assumed they were of a certain quality but it appears not. Super disappointed.

Have you opdated your tv with the firmware version available on Samsungs support website?

This solved all issues for me.

Yep - just did that this morning, no luck. I don’t think I have come across such a glitchy system in a very long time. I have power cycled 5 times, run Ethernet through the attic and down to the Arc, changed every imaginable setting…..and nothing. I cannot get the system to function consistently. I am dumbfounded as to why Sonos has such a strong reputation. 

Then it might be an CEC issue. If any of your devices connected to your TV is using CEC, try to turn it off.

Probably because it works on all other TV’s🤔? - Samsung issued firmware updates to fix their issues at their end on some models, including the Frame TV. I would first ensure the updates are installed, try powering everything off for 3 minutes to drain the power from all circuits and then setup the HDMI handshake again - if it still doesn’t work, then I would think there’s possibly either a problem with the Arc, Frame TV hardware, or more-likely something else connected to the TV via HDMI that is stealing the CEC protocol ‘focus’ away from the Arc connection, which is something Samsung will need to identify/fix, or you could take the easier step and switch off CEC on any other HDMI connected devices or as a last resort insert a CEC-Less adapter, like the one shown in this link between the ‘culprit’ and the  Frame TV:

https://www.amazon.com/Lindy-HDMI-Adapter-Female-41232/dp/B00DL48KVI

Probably because it works on all other TV’s🤔? - Samsung issued firmware updates to fix their issues at their end on some models, including the Frame TV. I would first ensure the updates are installed, try powering everything off for 3 minutes to drain the power from all circuits and then setup the HDMI handshake again - if it still doesn’t work, then I would think there’s possibly either a problem with the Arc, Frame TV hardware, or more-likely something else connected to the TV via HDMI that is stealing the CEC protocol ‘focus’ away from the Arc connection, which is something Samsung will need to identify/fix, or you could take the easier step and switch off CEC on any other HDMI connected devices or as a last resort insert a CEC-Less adapter, like the one shown in this link between the ‘culprit’ and the  Frame TV:

https://www.amazon.com/Lindy-HDMI-Adapter-Female-41232/dp/B00DL48KVI

I understand the issues are more widespread with the Samsung TVs but I have seen numerous posts related to Sony and LG TVs. Also, my assumption is that Sonos would at least acknowledge the issues related to Samsung when I contact telephone support, instead of informing me that the issue has to do with wifi interference, which I know is not the case. 

Also, I have now removed the Apple TV 4K, powered off everything for 5 mins…and I am still experiencing issues. Therefore the CEC conflict is not the root cause as there is nothing connected to the TV, other than the Sonos Arc.

Clearly, I am frustrated and a lot of it has to do with the “support” received from Sonos. I just want to speak with someone capable, instead of someone reading from a script. Does anyone have any tips on how to connect with someone who is knowledgeable at Sonos?

Clearly, I am frustrated and a lot of it has to do with the “support” received from Sonos. I just want to speak with someone capable, instead of someone reading from a script. Does anyone have any tips on how to connect with someone who is knowledgeable at Sonos?

I see, that’s not been my experience with their support, but I totally appreciate your frustration.

I can only perhaps suggest you call them back and ask for your case to be escalated to their Tier-2 support level and perhaps have ready a couple of diagnostic reports and maybe even a mobile video of the problem, on-hand to show them the information/problem. Then see if there is anything they can do.

What would also help is, if you have another TV in your household..it might be worth trying the ARC device linked to that aswell, just to see if the same issue persists… if it doesn’t persist, then you might want to speak to Samsung instead.

Sorry I can’t think what else might move your problem forward quickly, other than showing the Staff the issues you are seeing.

I see, that’s not been my experience with their support, but I totally appreciate your frustration.

I can only perhaps suggest you call them back and ask for your case to be escalated to their Tier-2 support level and perhaps have ready a couple of diagnostic reports and maybe even a mobile video of the problem, on-hand to show them the information/problem. Then see if there is anything they can do.

What would also help is, if you have another TV in your household..it might be worth trying the ARC device linked to that aswell, just to see if the same issue persists… if it doesn’t persist, then you might want to speak to Samsung instead.

Sorry I can’t think what else might move your problem forward quickly, other than showing the Staff the issues you are seeing.

I appreciate you taking the time to offer some insight.

Update: called Samsung, they believe the issue is with Sonos. Called Sonos again, did another hour of troubleshooting. No luck. Finally got them to raise the issue to tier 2 and now waiting to hear back from them. 

I appreciate you taking the time to offer some insight.

Update: called Samsung, they believe the issue is with Sonos. Called Sonos again, did another hour of troubleshooting. No luck. Finally got them to raise the issue to tier 2 and now waiting to hear back from them. 

Hey, please update us on this when you can. I’ve been dealing with this issue for over a year now and and really anxious for any resolution

I meant to hop on a few days ago and provide an update, so good timing.

I can confirm that it is a Samsung issue and not a problem with the Sonos. I confirmed via the following methods: 

1. I plugged the Sonos Arc into an older Samsung TV (believe it was a 2018)  and everything worked flawlessly
  2. A Samsung tech came to the house and plugged in a different sound bar - issues were still present

Next steps:

1. The Samsung tech has ordered a replacement part (believe it is the module which handles sound output) 
  2. If this doesn’t remedy the issue, I suppose I will attempt to get the TV replaced

I maintain that the Sonos support was lacklustre (attempted to convince me that the issue was due to wireless interference), but I have nothing negative to say about product quality.

I’m alway somewhat skeptical about first level support. While I expect occasionally to find gems, who actually understand what it is they’re supporting, I expect the majority to be working from scripts. And give the complexity of all the various connections that Sonos uses, much less my ability to articulate in a fashion that makes sense, there will always be both hits and misses when I talk to CS folks. Frankly, that’s not unique, IMHO, to Sonos in any way. I have the same concerns when I call any CS (and as I recall, I did call Samsung once, when working on a friends connection issues…..and had the same disconnect / failure of support that you appear to have had). 

Surprised to see all these comments still. I have 75” Frame and had same issues early on where the sound wouldn’t work. Last year I called Sonos service - I explained the situation, they were very much aware of the issue, and helped apply a patch over the air. I have not had any issues with connectivity since then.

They told me not to do any of the firmware updates or the patch will be removed, so I haven’t done any and it’s been working fine. Haven’t updated the Sonos firmware in about a year…

I have the same issue. I have an Apple TV 4K, all latest patches, connected to the local network via Ethernet cable, and going to a Frame 77 inch TV which also has all the latest updates and is also on Ethernet. The eArc out port goes to a Sonos Arc. I get frequent drops of audio when watching Amazon Prime channels only. Any clues?

I have the same issue. I have an Apple TV 4K, all latest patches, connected to the local network via Ethernet cable, and going to a Frame 77 inch TV which also has all the latest updates and is also on Ethernet. The eArc out port goes to a Sonos Arc. I get frequent drops of audio when watching Amazon Prime channels only. Any clues?

This is quite an old thread - so maybe the Samsung issue has resurrected itself again, which they did fix with one of their firmware updates. My thoughts are to speak with Samsung Support, as mentioned during the early part of this thread.

Meanwhile, as a suggestion, perhaps see if switching off HDMI-CEC on the Apple TV goes some way to resolving the issue, as it maybe trying to steal CEC focus away from the ARC. 

HTH

I have a 2022 75” Frame and Arc. Only happened twice in the past month but annoying nonetheless. Sound will suddenly drop out. Have to reset One box and unplug eArc to get sound bar to working again.

Was there ever a determination on wether this was sonos issue or Samsung? And how to fix?

I have a 2022 75” Frame and Arc. Only happened twice in the past month but annoying nonetheless. Sound will suddenly drop out. Have to reset One box and unplug eArc to get sound bar to working again.

Was there ever a determination on wether this was sonos issue or Samsung? And how to fix?

My recollection is that Samsung issued a firmware update. I think ‘perhaps’ the issue is with something else connected to the TV and is stealing the CEC focus away from the Sonos HT - hence the suggestion to switch off CEC control on those ‘other’ products (one at a time) to try to discover if that is the case and then just leave it switched off for whichever one is causing the issue.

I have a 2022 75” Samsung Frame.  Whenever the TV either exits art mode, or goes to sleep and turns back on, it no longer sees the ARC until I power cycle the One Connect box.

Have you reported the issue to Samsung? They shouldn’t be disconnecting CEC (ARC) in that kind of situation. 

Badge

Guys this insane issue is also present on my LGCX. Sound flickers including the image on my screen Its terrible. 

Guys this insane issue is also present on my LGCX. Sound flickers including the image on my screen Its terrible. 

That sounds like a fault with either the TV/Sonos, or the cable, or perhaps one of the connected peripherals has CEC enabled and is attempting to steal focus.

Edit: With LG aswell, perhaps try switching off ‘Instant Game Response’ on the HDMI-2 port, as that may ‘sometimes’ have strange effects with connected audio devices.

I think with some other branded TV’s, like Samsung, Sonos choose now to switch off the screensaver on some of their models, but LG is normally fine.

Badge

That sounds like a fault with either the TV/Sonos, or the cable, or perhaps one of the connected peripherals has CEC enabled and is attempting to steal focus.

Edit: With LG aswell, perhaps try switching off ‘Instant Game Response’ on the HDMI-2 port, as that may ‘sometimes’ have strange effects with connected audio devices.

I think with some other branded TV’s, like Samsung, Sonos choose now to switch off the screensaver on some of their models, but LG is normally fine.

Unfortunately it doesnt let me do that (deactivate game response on HDAMI port 2)as it is grayed out but showing it is on.

Unfortunately it doesnt let me do that (deactivate game response on HDAMI port 2)as it is grayed out but showing it is on.

You have to switch to the HDMI-2 Input to disable it.

Badge

Yes thanks that did work. Still flickering no matter what. Sometimes i am able to have eArc on but it doesnt last long. If i turn the tv off and back on again it flickers and sound cuts out.

Yes thanks that did work. Still flickering no matter what. Sometimes i am able to have eArc on but it doesnt last long. If i turn the tv off and back on again it flickers and sound cuts out.

Ok, perhaps continue this in the other thread instead and let me know if anything else is connected to the TV’s HDMI 1, 3 or 4? 

This issue is still ongoing and I’m convinced its a Samsung issue. I’ve tried the arc on every tv in my home and the only one with this issue present is the most expensive one (go figure). I kind of feel like Samsung made these TVs in a way that only their sound bars would plug in and work flawlessly. This is such a ridiculous situation. I just wish there was a way to connect the Arc to the TV wirelessly. At this point I’m sick of fiddling with this mess.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I can confirm that since the earlier firmware update fixed this issue, the ‘cut out in sound for a few seconds every 30-45 minutes’ is back in business for me, after changing nothing, but unfortunately auto-updating as I've done so many time over the past year. This is indeed EXTREMELY annoying that we still have to bother with this issue.

I would love if Sonos actually made an official statement, saying “THIS” is the issue, so we at least could go to Samsung and claim our money back. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

PS: I am amazed to see this issue continues on the FRAME 2021 version. Does anyone know if it has been resolved on the 2022 version ?