Answered

Sonos Arc Samsung Frame TV eARC not working

Show first post

668 replies

Ok. I may have had a breakthrough. Fingers crossed. I have only tested for 1 day so needs longer to test but I have not had the sound in and out issues when I leave the TV off for a few hours. 

1. I have updated to the latest firmware 1460.9. There are different versions for different Frame TVs so the links we have posted above don’t work for all Frame TVs as I learned so simply going to Samsung Support for your country and enter your model number.
  2. After updating I still had the issue. However, I then reset the TV. Settings->General->Reset
  3. Then I did not turn on HDMI-eARC Mode in Expert Settings.

The TV Dolby Atmos was on by default and it picks up the Sonos Arc and states that Atmos was detected.

The Sound Output still lists the Receiver (HDMI-eARC) connected not Receiver (HDMI) which suggests eARC is on despite the toggle being off in settings.

I hope this continues to work and hope it helps others.

keep us posted! Sounds promising 

Unfortunately the issue has returned when I left the TV for a while :rolling_eyes:

Yep, my audio is always broken in the morning. Right now I have a smart plug scheduled to reset my sonos late in the evening, about when I would watch TV. A smart plug also lets me reset my sonos without having to go over to it and unplug it manually. 

I love my frame and my sonos arc so this will have to do for now.

Ok. I may have had a breakthrough. Fingers crossed. I have only tested for 1 day so needs longer to test but I have not had the sound in and out issues when I leave the TV off for a few hours. 

1. I have updated to the latest firmware 1460.9. There are different versions for different Frame TVs so the links we have posted above don’t work for all Frame TVs as I learned so simply going to Samsung Support for your country and enter your model number.
  2. After updating I still had the issue. However, I then reset the TV. Settings->General->Reset
  3. Then I did not turn on HDMI-eARC Mode in Expert Settings.

The TV Dolby Atmos was on by default and it picks up the Sonos Arc and states that Atmos was detected.

The Sound Output still lists the Receiver (HDMI-eARC) connected not Receiver (HDMI) which suggests eARC is on despite the toggle being off in settings.

I hope this continues to work and hope it helps others.

keep us posted! Sounds promising 

Unfortunately the issue has returned when I left the TV for a while :rolling_eyes:

Yep, my audio is always broken in the morning. Right now I have a smart plug scheduled to reset my sonos late in the evening, about when I would watch TV. A smart plug also lets me reset my sonos without having to go over to it and unplug it manually. 

I love my frame and my sonos arc so this will have to do for now.

I am planning to do the same. I use a Logitech Harmony Elite remote so will just add the off/on to the start up procedure. Seems so ridiculous that we are at this stage months later.

But then something must happen to break that. It seems time is a factor.... Could it be some memory buffer that is getting filled but not flushed properly and over time this manifests to the point where the balance is tipped and it overflows? I bet it's something really small and insignificant anyway; it must be the accumulation of a small error rather than the error itself as the units can play happily together for some time. 

TV: The Frame 2020 65” (1460.9)

Sound Output: Receiver HDMI - Earc

EArc Mode: Auto

Digital Sound Output:  Auto

Atmos: Enabled

ARC: HW Version (1.27.1.8-1.2)

Sonos OS: S2 (12.2.2)

Xfinity X1GV4 (HDMI 1) and Fire Cube Gen2 (HDMI 2) 

All networking through wifi

I have to ask my question again: What are the chances this is a hardware issue that cannot be corrected by a firmware update? I have only actually lost sound once in 15 plus days of testing. Toggling Earc settings fixed it. I don’t have skips and the sound comes on as expected when I switch the tv on next day. Watched about 3 hours of Netflix, Amazon each night (alternating between Fire Cube, Tv, and Xfinity apps).  

I did have the tv sound switch from Earc to internal speakers when going from Spotify with the tv off to watching tv today (tv sound and Arc Spotify played simultaneously) , but was fixed by re-enabling Earc on tv.

So while there are issues with my setup, they are not as prevalent as others are reporting. Still, I have the feeling it is only a matter of time before the handshake between the two starts to degrade. Anybody seen any reports of the Arc SL sold at Costco having any issues? Interesting that a new model has been manufactured.

Sonos please explain if you have pinpointed the issue. Almost 6 months now. 

Has anyone gotten the frame to work eARC to another brand of receiver and sound speakers?

I had another sound bar with eARC. The Samsung - HW-Q950T that I tested for a week. It never dropped sound, but had some sync issues that I could never quite adjust with the delays and there were some issue with the built in Alexa. Kept the Arc since I liked the sound better (after TruePlay) and have other Sonos products throughout the house. I hope this was the correct choice.

I found a workaround: I deactivate Anynet. Then I use only the TV speakers, which I prefer with the usual TV stuff, which is mainly talks, where IMHO the Arc does not a good job. If there is a movie, where I want to have the full sound, I activate Anynet, and the Arc drops in with no sound issues. This issue only appears, if the TV is switched on with activated Anynet.

If Anynet always stays activated, it just needs to toggle the Dolby Atmos setting. Neither the status itself, nor the eARC setting has an impact.

Badge

I found a workaround: I deactivate Anynet. Then I use only the TV speakers, which I prefer with the usual TV stuff, which is mainly talks, where IMHO the Arc does not a good job. If there is a movie, where I want to have the full sound, I activate Anynet, and the Arc drops in with no sound issues. This issue only appears, if the TV is switched on with activated Anynet.

If Anynet always stays activated, it just needs to toggle the Dolby Atmos setting. Neither the status itself, nor the eARC setting has an impact.

Looks like your solution is basically to not use the Arc.  Sonos, fix this issue!!

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Looks like your solution is basically to not use the Arc.  Sonos, fix this issue!!

I agree...I don't want to activate and de-activate Anynet or any other setting for it to work. It should just WORK!

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Not sure how technical people are in here, but could the eARC issues have something to do with the HDMI port only being a HDMI 2.0b port and not a 2.1 ?

I read that eARC is mostly only supported on the 2.1 port.
I know that on the Frame 2020 only PORT 4 is a 2.1 port, this is in not eARC port. That is the gaming port (most likely to support 8K gaming from PS5 or Xbox X).

I’ve found using smart plugs to automatically reset the Arcs in a schedule every day in the morning seems to have “fixed” the issue. It’s been about a week now and both Arcs connected to my 55” and 75” frames are working as expected.

i got a two pack of Teckin smart plugs off Amazon for £20.

whilst not ideal, this approach should be a decent option whilst waiting for a firmware update that actually addresses it properly.

Badge +3

Hi!
Have 75” Frame and Sonos Cinema (ARC, Sub, One SL’s).
Everything was perfecto, but today I have sound off issues. Try to fix it by HDMI cable interchange. But I hope Sonos cable have to be good. After that will switch to Optical… 

Video when sound was fine:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CIv8Y1IB3rO/

Userlevel 3
Badge

Well...Ive STILL been working with Samsung Engineers in North America, and Korea has been trying to find a fix...and Im Sad to say there is NO fix to this. 

Not one update has done a thing to fix this unfortunately. For a brief time the fix that Samsung USA worked, was working. But it no longer is. They have been studying my TV in real time as well as recording it on a USB that is attached h to my Connect One. 

I believe that Samsung USA, DID in fact try to resolve this issue, but Korea has now shifted its resources to the 2021 Samsung Models. 

As Well, unfortunately, I think Samsung has been half-assed throwing Updates to see what “Can Stick”. Its been 4 ridiculous months, with Hundreds of wasted hours Spent on this Frame TV. Working with the “Highest” levels of Samsung’s Engineers and Business folks. And they have Zero clue whats going on. 

Im most likely going to take a 2k hit on this. Samsung refuses to refund me, my credit card company denied me a credit card request for my money back. So, it is either my Frame or my SONOS Atmos 5.1 System. 

Shame on Samsung. 

I have just been on the phone with Sonos and on chat with Samsung at the same time. Sonos believe the issue is the way Samsung has implemented the eARC in the TV is not to HDMI standard. They are still actively working on a solution with Samsung,

Samsung and sonos have advised to turn off eARC for the time being until a fix is issued… (fix might be returning this tv...) D̶o̶l̶b̶y̶ ̶A̶t̶m̶o̶s̶

I have just been on the phone with Sonos and on chat with Samsung at the same time. Sonos believe the issue is the way Samsung has implemented the eARC in the TV is not to HDMI standard. They are still actively working on a solution with Samsung,

Samsung and sonos have advised to turn off eARC for the time being until a fix is issued… (fix might be returning this tv...) D̶o̶l̶b̶y̶ ̶A̶t̶m̶o̶s̶

Sad. Went away for a couple of days and when I came back sound was cutting in and out on 55” frame (newest firmware) and Sonos Arc. Hadn’t done this type of constant cut-outs during my two weeks of initial testing. Tried setting Earc to off and sound still didn’t come back to normal. Unplugged the Arc and kept everything on the Samsung on Auto. Had sound when it was plugged back in. Guess I’ll be getting a smart plug. If this is indeed an HDMI EArc implementation issue on the 2020 Frame, Samsung should make this right. I have doubts though as I have read people having the same issues with some LG tvs. In my case, the Sonos Arc will go back before the Frame TV. 

Anybody try the SL version of the ARC (Costco) on a Samsung TV? 

Not sure how technical people are in here, but could the eARC issues have something to do with the HDMI port only being a HDMI 2.0b port and not a 2.1 ?

I read that eARC is mostly only supported on the 2.1 port.
I know that on the Frame 2020 only PORT 4 is a 2.1 port, this is in not eARC port. That is the gaming port (most likely to support 8K gaming from PS5 or Xbox X).

I don’t think so, I have a Sony X900h with the 2.1 eArc update and I get regular audio cutouts, it comes back on its own after about 10-15 seconds but I’m leaning towards returning the arc.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Any updates on this?  Sound is cutting out from the Arc every time I turn on the TV. 

Hello everyone,

have the same issue Sound Cuts off after hours so tired off that shit.

What about This hd fury do it help the issus?

Sad. Went away for a couple of days and when I came back sound was cutting in and out on 55” frame (newest firmware) and Sonos Arc. Hadn’t done this type of constant cut-outs during my two weeks of initial testing. Tried setting Earc to off and sound still didn’t come back to normal. Unplugged the Arc and kept everything on the Samsung on Auto. Had sound when it was plugged back in. Guess I’ll be getting a smart plug. If this is indeed an HDMI EArc implementation issue on the 2020 Frame, Samsung should make this right. I have doubts though as I have read people having the same issues with some LG tvs. In my case, the Sonos Arc will go back before the Frame TV. 

So far unplugging and plugging back on has been the only thing that fixed the issues. Thanks for posting this. Please let us know if you make any head way on a solution. Sonos and Samsung fix this!

Hello again,

i have read that the hd fury Can solved this issus sounds Cut off please let me know????

Hello again,

i have read that the hd fury Can solved this issus sounds Cut off please let me know????

Try unplugging the power to the Arc and plugging it back in. Leave all the settings on auto including EARC. Worked for me for now, and better than spending $300 on another piece of tech.  

Jumping in this bandwagon, and frustrated with the same issues.

setup: Samsung Frame TV 2020 65” and Sonos Arc.

issue: HDMI eArc mode has to be switched off which limits me to compressed Dolby Atmos, and more frustratingly, sound keeps cutting in and out every time TV is switched off.

Temporary fix: toggle on/off the HDMI eArc AND Atmos Compatibility from the Expert Audio setting each time after switching on the TV.

beginning to wonder if this is tied to the fact that when TV is turned on, the Sonos also comes on at the same time, and by doing the above fix or the other fix people have mentioned (HDMI out and in) you have the Sonos come on at a later time than the TV which seems to fix it.

extremely frustrating. This is definitely a Aamsung issue. Definitely my last Samsung product.

Hello again,

after reset the arc soundbar, now it has been Working few days.

soo hope it countinue 🙏

reset the shit and keep all settings auto in Sound.

Hi all,

A quick note from our dev team:

We are aware and monitoring an issue when connecting Sonos Arc to late model Samsung TVs via eARC. We are working closely with Samsung to resolve this and will share more as available.

All the best,

Ditte

@Ditte Is there any way to escalate this critical issue? This impacts many people and it’s been at least 6 months that it has been reported.

Currently, to fix the sound skipping, I have to unplug and re-plug the HDMI cable from my Sonos Arc to temporarily fix the issue and I have to do it every day which is quite annoying.

An update would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Hey everyone, I would suggest to email the CEO directly to raise this issue: ceo@sonos.com

Hopefully he will provide more transparency on the issue so far. The more he’s aware about this, the more chance we have to get it fixed!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I think you need to email the CEO of Samsung, not Sonos. You’ll probably need to brush up on your Korean.