Answered

Sonos Arc Placement

• 12 October 2022
  • 4 replies

I just got my Sonos Arc today and I’m loving it!

I was just wondering if my Arc is too far from my TV (20 inches from bottom of TV) as Sonos recommends Atleast 4-6. If so, do you guys recommend wall mounting the Arc? Am I loosing any sound immersiveness? Currently the Arc is sitting below my sitting position so if I wall mount my Arc will it noticeably sound better. For reference my ceiling is 9ft and I'm sitting around 6.5ft away from the Arc

Also should the Arc be placed on the tip of the console like the pic attached or I can push it backward as it will look neater.

My main use is for watching movies and TV shows so I would appreciate any setup improvement. 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 13 October 2022, 12:12

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Iceman7 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I’m glad to hear that you’re impressed with your new Arc, but are you sure that’s not one of our marketing photos? 😁

Regarding the positioning of your Arc, I would say that as long as you can discern the height channels, all is well. Mounting it higher would, no doubt, pull the sound stage closer to the screen, but that may be something that your brain can subconsciously sort out for you within a minute or two of turning the TV on anyway - only you and yours will know for sure. Arc can automatically sense when it is attached to the official wall mount and adjust it’s EQ accordingly, so moving the Arc up by temporarily stacking it on top of something (stable!) to see how it sounds won’t be identical to wall-mounting it, but it should give you a good idea as to whether you should go ahead with doing so or not. Personally, I would lift it a bit, somehow.

As long as the height speakers on the top of the Arc can project forwards and upwards without being blocked by the TV or it’s mounting panel, you should be good to push the Arc back a bit.

Most importantly, however, it’s all about what sounds (and looks) good to you - this being subjective, there are no right or wrong answers. Except for what your better-half says - they’re probably right 😁

I hope I’ve got the ball rolling, however, and that someone who actually has an Arc can chime in, as hands-on experience is invaluable.

I hope this helps.

Thanks Corry and totally agree with you, any recommended tracks or ways to test upward projections?

In my current setup if I wall mount the Arc 4 inches from the TV, will my console shelves block any sound or the main concert for the best Dolby sound effect is the upward speakers?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Your shelves won’t be an issue if you go higher but the TV frame may depending on how far it sticks out from the wall.

I can’t find any hard answers in the FAQ about front/rear placement of the Arc in relation to the TV but from looking at mine there is only about 1 inch of the Arc body at the rear before you get to speaker grill. The install manual has pictures.

The closer you get to an overhanging TV the more likely disruption of the height channels will be.

I put my Arc on 2” tall stands to get it off the cabinet I have it sitting close to the front edge of to reduce any chance of reflection problems.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Iceman7 

I’ve never heard Atmos outside of the cinema, so I’m afraid I have no suggestions as to what shows off the effect well. I presume most Marvel movies would do so.

I agree with @Stanley_4 in terms of mounting the Arc - as long as it’s not too close to the TV, or under the TV panel, it should be OK.