Question

Sonos Arc - Not as wide as I was expecting / Atmos.

• 10 October 2020
  • 3 replies

Hi there

I’ve recently bought the SONOS Arc with a couple of ONE SLs for the rear. Although there’s much to love, I’m a little disappointed by the separation on the front L & R channels. To the point where I’ve started to consider an AVR with separate speakers.

I can sometimes hear the separation, but was expecting more. I’m trying to work out if that is a limitation of it only being 50inches and not truely separated. I’ve never owned a proper 5.1 so maybe there isn’t as much separation as I expect.

On a similar note, I watched Jack Ryan on Prime and the app reports Atmos, but it doesn’t sound much if all different to the usual 5.1.

Does anyone else find this? 

That’s the only atmos content I’ve been able to find - (I have disney+ but only through my Samsung Q60t and apparently the disney app doesn’t support Atmos through this TV)

Is there a sound file I can use to test each speaker? 

The other thing I though is whether it’s because I don’t have the TV very loud, and when using Trueplay to tune it, Trueplay expects a certain level of volume?

Is there a way to tune it myself? Maybe increasing the upward firing and left and right speakers?

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Keen to know.  Just ordered an arc but won’t get it for a few weeks.

OP - could it have something to do with your room setup?  I previously had a dedicated 5.1 setup but sold it to go down a more simple route and have the flexibility of a proper 2.1 setup for music.

Room is about 4.5 metres wide and 8 long with the tv in the middle of the width, and sofa half way back with rears near back wall. Ceiling is low no more than 2.5 metres 

you do definitely hear the front left and right but it’s not as wide or immersive as I’d hoped. 

sounds great though and good for music. The App is also great as is night mode. Just wish it was a little wider

i replaced a sony ht-st5000 with the ARC. Neither have much of a surround sound effect, imo.  I love the ARC, dialogue is much clearer than the Sony and music is awesome, but keep expectations low with this ATMOS hype. Like me, i imagine that most people use soundbars in the great room, and you just won’t get much of a surround effect in huge rooms with 9 foot ceilings.  If i used it in my smaller game room maybe i would get a better effect, but i have a true 5.1 setup in that room.