Answered

Sonos Arc - Metallic Sound

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1017 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

This is my first post and I apologize in advance if this isn’t helpful.

In my living room I have a Beam, Sub gen2 and two Ones connected to the S2 app. I replaced a Beam with an Arc yesterday and I experienced the same issues listed here. Muffled bass out of the box and sharp highs after True Play (with iPhone XS Max). It just sounded bad overall. 

There were some helpful comments in this thread and a video online that made me try retuning True Play with an OLD iPad mini. I did that this morning and it worked. The arc sounds like a different product, with music and video.

Last night I turned the treble down to -5 with Speech enhance on to be able to watch “Bates Motel” on Netflix and “Warcraft” on FX (via Apple TV 4K). Today After retuning True Play treble is at 0 and speech enhance is off and it sounds so much better. 

Thanks for the helpful posts! 

Yes, but this is not good experience. I had to run trueplay multiple times, and I am still unhappy with the sound on some programs. I have become acutely aware of mixing problems in shows in the process. 

Even after I am happy with the sound signature in one program, I might watch another that is far too bright with very harsh high frequencies. The experience is unpleasant. It is as if the midrange is missing. This never happened with the beam! 

I really have high expectations from the Arc, and I eagerly await for Sonos to fix the sound signature.

I have not had 1 content be too bright that it hurts or too muddle that it cant be understood. And I have tried tons of streaming services and content already. I tuned with iphone XR and have done it a couple of times (after adding the sub for example) I did use it without the sub for a bit too. Not had any issues with it being too bright. Had one content (Hamilton) sound too high pitched SSSSSS but then my brother said the exact same thing coming from his playbar and someone else on reddit said the same from the playbase so I think it was the mics used.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

This is my first post and I apologize in advance if this isn’t helpful.

In my living room I have a Beam, Sub gen2 and two Ones connected to the S2 app. I replaced a Beam with an Arc yesterday and I experienced the same issues listed here. Muffled bass out of the box and sharp highs after True Play (with iPhone XS Max). It just sounded bad overall. 

There were some helpful comments in this thread and a video online that made me try retuning True Play with an OLD iPad mini. I did that this morning and it worked. The arc sounds like a different product, with music and video.

Last night I turned the treble down to -5 with Speech enhance on to be able to watch “Bates Motel” on Netflix and “Warcraft” on FX (via Apple TV 4K). Today After retuning True Play treble is at 0 and speech enhance is off and it sounds so much better. 

Thanks for the helpful posts! 

Yes, but this is not good experience. I had to run trueplay multiple times, and I am still unhappy with the sound on some programs. I have become acutely aware of mixing problems in shows in the process. 

Even after I am happy with the sound signature in one program, I might watch another that is far too bright with very harsh high frequencies. The experience is unpleasant. It is as if the midrange is missing. This never happened with the beam! 

I really have high expectations from the Arc, and I eagerly await for Sonos to fix the sound signature.

I have not had 1 content be too bright that it hurts or too muddle that it cant be understood. And I have tried tons of streaming services and content already. I tuned with iphone XR and have done it a couple of times (after adding the sub for example) I did use it without the sub for a bit too. Not had any issues with it being too bright. Had one content (Hamilton) sound too high pitched SSSSSS but then my brother said the exact same thing coming from his playbar and someone else on reddit said the same from the playbase so I think it was the mics used.

Note not trying to say there is no issue. I am saying the opposite this variance in users experience is too wide. Why does someone have to use -5 treble to be able to watch on the Arc? That is not right. I thinkt here is a serious bug here

Has anyone experienced this issue, exchanged for a new Arc, and felt that the issue was improved with a new unit? Local Best Buy has offered to replace mine, but I am wondering if it’s affecting all units or just some. To echo many other people here, it literally sounds like the center channel/tweeter has a serious problem on my Arc. All dialogue sounds like S’s are super harsh/way over pronounced, as if someone is hissing into their mic. Don’t know if I should bother exchanging it, or just wait it out until Sonos addresses the issue via firmware update. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Has anyone experienced this issue, exchanged for a new Arc, and felt that the issue was improved with a new unit? Local Best Buy has offered to replace mine, but I am wondering if it’s affecting all units or just some. To echo many other people here, it literally sounds like the center channel/tweeter has a serious problem on my Arc. All dialogue sounds like S’s are super harsh/way over pronounced, as if someone is hissing into their mic. Don’t know if I should bother exchanging it, or just wait it out until Sonos addresses the issue via firmware update. 

I really hope it’s a firmware issue. Your description is very apt. In my country I would have to go through hoops before someone would exchange the unit. 

Mine is updated and I still get a popping sound.  While watching interstellar, a minute and 30 seconds in when they show the ship re-entering earth, it starts popping and crackling.  Atmos generally sounds great, but that popping sound is annoying and ridiculous for an 800 speaker.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Any update on this Sonos?

Got my return label today but hoping for a miracle.

Userlevel 1

Whilst I don’t think I’m a sensitive to it as some people on here, I have the same issue - the highs seem quite brittle (for lack of a better description) and sibilants are particularly unpleasant on content that is lower budget (I.e. high budget movies sound fine but voiceovers in supervet for example are uncomfortable to listen to).

I have treble turned down to -4 in the EQ and that tames it a bit but you do lose some of the clarity and energy. I’ve submitted a diagnostic and look forward to any updates.

Thanks for the updates SONOS

Hi.

with the problems with Arc, does it help with buying a Sonos sub, is the problem blown away then?

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

This is such a joke people are bored of posting now on here and Sonos will probably just accept everyone is putting up with it… we need updates!

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I have the Arc, sub and 2 play 1's.  My Arc was terribly harsh sounding even after multiple Trueplay attempts.  Way worse sounding than my Playbar.  To the point anyone who listened to it mentioned the shrill sounds.  And that's without me saying anything.  

I sent mine back and will continue to use my Playbar until if and when Sonos can figure this out.  I'm not going to sit on a $900(tax) sound bar with the "hope" that it gets fixed.

Hi.

Are there any figures on how many have problems, sent back or received new ones?  How big is the problem and how many may have been sold?  if anyone knows :-)

Userlevel 1
Badge

This is such a joke people are bored of posting now on here and Sonos will probably just accept everyone is putting up with it… we need updates!

I think by now if one wants to return they have already done so.  The rest are accepting the shortcomings and learning to live with it.  With 99% all positive reviews plus a few fanboys out there raving about the ARC, the Arc is mostly sold out.  So why should they care?

Hi.

Are there any figures on how many have problems, sent back or received new ones?  How big is the problem and how many may have been sold?  if anyone knows :-)

Sure, Sonos is in the know but they won’t tell you. Customers don’t have access to such information.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

While I agree they haven’t updated in a while they did say they’re working on a fix. And it is being investigated and worked on. So It doesn’t seem theyre ignoring just working quietly and decided not to provide constant updates (for whatever reason) but yeah do as you wish if you want to return do so. And definitely post here if you haveb issues

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I think by now if one wants to return they have already done so.  The rest are accepting the shortcomings and learning to live with it.  With 99% all positive reviews plus a few fanboys out there raving about the ARC, the Arc is mostly sold out.  So why should they care?

They already said here theyre workin gon a fix and investigating the issue. They provided a form to submit problematic content. I do agree it is frustrating they haven’t provided any updates. But sayihng they dont care and are doing  nothing is just not right. Just speculation and doesn’t really contribute.

Also, many have said their setups are sounding good and theyre enjoying it. So “living with it” doesnt quite fit it. 

AGAIN there is an issue for some people, it seems this group isn’t small and many have complaints. SONOS said theyure working on it and theywentr quiet (dont know why or try to defend that). But let’s have accurate posts here for those who come here looking to check progress. Your post just isn’t right at no point SONOS has said “most users are happy, there is no issue,if you dont like it Arc is not for you, we plan on not investigating or working on this” so don’t be misleading.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I have been waiting since end of June for Sonos to organise an exchange of mine. They last emailed me on 13/7 and have not replied to several follow up emails over last week. Complete silence. I plan to do a credit card chargeback (not really sure if that will work). Bizarre situation. To say I’m a bit disappointed would be an understatement!!! 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

I have been waiting since end of June for Sonos to organise an exchange of mine. They last emailed me on 13/7 and have not replied to several follow up emails over last week. Complete silence. I plan to do a credit card chargeback (not really sure if that will work). Bizarre situation. To say I’m a bit disappointed would be an understatement!!! 

Have you tried their chat support yet? They helped me with my return.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Have you tried their chat support yet? They helped me with my return.

No - i’ve tried to ring but dont get much chance in the day to spend the time required to go via live chat. 

They initially replied to email and we seemed to get quite far down the line, so my preference was just to continue with that but now they have gone completely silent…. I even tried the email the CEO link on their help pages. 

Part of me wonders if they aren’t replying as they have no stock - that would make sense - but surely they could communicate that ???

I am guessing they are inundated with people returning and complaining about faulty/below expectation arcs!!!!

It’s on a par with the worst customer service I have experienced. 

Sonos - please fix this problem! I am not at all an audiophile and I can easily tell. 

Maybe this makes movie sounds pop out more, but music playing (which I do more of) sounds really bad. I the artist’s voice sounds so thin. I had to turn the treble down to -5 to help but still not totally satisfactory. I might be to return the device if not resolved. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

They already said here theyre workin gon a fix and investigating the issue. They provided a form to submit problematic content. I do agree it is frustrating they haven’t provided any updates. But sayihng they dont care and are doing  nothing is just not right. Just speculation and doesn’t really contribute.

Also, many have said their setups are sounding good and theyre enjoying it. So “living with it” doesnt quite fit it. 

AGAIN there is an issue for some people, it seems this group isn’t small and many have complaints. SONOS said theyure working on it and theywentr quiet (dont know why or try to defend that). But let’s have accurate posts here for those who come here looking to check progress. Your post just isn’t right at no point SONOS has said “most users are happy, there is no issue,if you dont like it Arc is not for you, we plan on not investigating or working on this” so don’t be misleading.

Relax there just my opinion, we will see how much they care like u said.  

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hallelujah, after a long wait on hold to customer service they have finally (a month after I first contacted them) set up an exchange for my arc….. wonder if it will resolve the problem or will it just be the same (e.g. a mess)??? 

Hallelujah, after a long wait on hold to customer service they have finally (a month after I first contacted them) set up an exchange for my arc….. wonder if it will resolve the problem or will it just be the same (e.g. a mess)??? 

Let us know. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

A few people did exchange it and reported back, and they found no significant improvement on the new one. I dont think ive read anyone saying the improvement was so good they were satisfied.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

For the people having this issue I am very curious can you record some TV or movie audio where it sounds bad? especially if you also have a Beam or playbar and do a comparison. I watched a youtube review video the other day from an audio installer and he played audio back to back from playbar and arc and i didnt notice this issue.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

A few people did exchange it and reported back, and they found no significant improvement on the new one. I dont think ive read anyone saying the improvement was so good they were satisfied.

well I just have to give it a go. I’m convinced mine was faulty. If not I don’t know how anyone would be satisfied with paying so much for something so average. I have put a beam back in the same room and it’s a big improvement. One other thing I noticed as well was that I have an open plan room and the arc didn’t fill the room like the beam did. It seemed to be focused on the seating area, rather than pushing sound to the whole room