Answered

Sonos Arc + LG TV won’t let me use my headphones or tv speaker anymore

• 8 May 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

Context: Sonos Arc+sub+2xEra300 connected to a LG OLED C2. I want to keep my system compatible with Dolby Atmos as I paid big$ for it.

Two simple use cases give no good result:

• It’s late, i want to use my Bluetooth headphones on my TV so that I don’t wake up everyone while playing my favorite PlayStation 5 game.
  • We have a party, the kid wants to play Mario Kart on the TV. She wants the TV to play the audio from the game through the TV speakers while we still play our playlist during the party on the pleasantly loud Sonos Arc+sub+2xEra300

And I don’t want to physically unplug the Sonos Arc each time I am in those two situation, as the cables are hidden in the wall.

I sincerely believe I am not asking for something way out of the ordinary.

But in both cases, the audio output of the TV switches back automatically to the Sonos Arc which is incredibly frustrating.

Looking for a satisfactory workaround from the community. Plugging a “CEC Less” give no good result at this time (no more audio). I wouldn’t be against paying 100$ more for it. Sure it would be a shame from Sonos/LG to request that for such common features but eh, I already paid 10kCAD for this setup, 100$ won’t kill me.

Help !

icon

Best answer by Pileroux 9 May 2023, 01:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @Pileroux,

You could disable CEC in the LG TV settings, this would prevent the TV from swapping back to the Sonos Arc as an audio output and let you use the internal TV speakers or headphones. You’ll have to turn this setting on and off depending on what you’d be using the TV for, which is why a CEC-Less adaptor is recommended.

Unfortunately this isn’t something we can change as it’s the TV detecting a device connected to the HDMI-ARC/eARC port and swapping to it. Besides a CEC-Less adaptor or unplugging the HDMI, you could also switch off the power for the Sonos Arc.

Are you having issues with using a CEC-Less adaptor? I know many of our forum users use and recommend CEC-Less adaptors for this reason, so they might be able to give assistance if you provide them with some information on the adaptor you’re using.

I hope this information helps!

Userlevel 1

Hi @Jamie A many thanks for those answers!

Unfortunately, disabling SIMPLINK(HDMI-CEC) option also results in it automatically switching back on if the Sonos Arc is plugged on it.

Unless. Unless…

I just tried the same trick AFTER disabling eARC Support and it does work!!! 

So here are the steps:

1- Disable eARC support in the audio settings.

2- Disable SIMPLINK(HDMI-CEC) in the System/Device settings. At this point the TV should switch back to TV Speakers.

3- Switching from TV Speakers to Bluetooth device if needed.

Switching off the power of the Sonos Arc resulted in issues for the Sonos system to sync again with the satellites (Sub, ERA300s).

My last question to the community would be: where am I be supposed to plug the CEC Less adapter? Mine is a Bluerigger. 
https://bluerigger.com/collections/data/products/bluerigger-4k-hdmi-cec-less-adapter-4k-uhd-arc-1080p-ethernet-hdmi-male-to-female-adapter-compatible-with-hdtv-tv-stick-game-consoles-laptops-soundbar

Thanks!!!

Glad I found this, I was just about pulling my hair out trying to get it to work.

Yep, disabling SIMPLINK(HDMI-CEC) AFTER disabling eARC Support on a 65C2 worked for me. Switches over to TV Sound and you can then switch to Bluetooth just fine.
Once you’re finished take out and re-case the Airpods and the TV goes back to TV Sound and stays that way even when you switch off and back on.

You need to again enable SIMPLINK(HDMI-CEC) which then reverts back to the SONOS Arc and switch eARC Support back on for full function.

Rinse and repeat as necessary . . .

I found a cheap solution to this problem: 

Kasa sells smart plugs that do not require a separate hub, only Wi-Fi. I have a bunch of them around for lights, my coffee maker, and fans. There’s an app that lets you have a timer or schedule and allows you to turn it on and off from your phone.

The Kasa smart plugs set is currently $26 for four of them on Amazon. I have several reserved for situations just like this. They’re also very convenient to have around in case you want to turn anything into a ‘smart’ item that turns on and off on a schedule or just from where you’re sitting/laying down.

This is not the automatic solution that you may have been looking for, but all you have to do is take out your phone and shut off the sonos with one button as soon as the Kasa app opens. 

Just a quick note you have to first turn off the Sonos speaker before you connect your bluetooth headphones. I had to delete the headphones from the TV for the first time for some reason, but after that it worked just fine.