Sonos Arc and Xbox X sound settings

• 23 July 2020
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hi

Im trying to work out what’s the best settings to use on my xbox now I have the sonos Arc, I use my xbox primarily for gaming but due to arc not having DTS I now use the xbox also for playing any disc that has DTS, so quite a few blurays.

In xbox settings am I best setting to bitstream dolby digital or bitstream atmos.

Would the latter work for DTS blurays and games, I gather it would do some transcoding.

I believe some games also support atmos like COD modern warfare.

Just trying to find a good setting that I don't need to keep changing. I know when I play DTS blurays I have to uncheck “let my receiver decode” otherwise xbox will send the DTS track to Arc and not work.

Does anyone use bitstream atmos on there xbox for both movies and games?

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @ledzep1.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us.

I would recommend with you this guide about supported Home theater audio format. I would also like to recommend connecting the Sonos Arc directly to the TV as well as your Xbox so that all audio from the TV can be captured by the Sonos System.  I would also be morethan happy to send this to our engineering team as a feature request for the DTS audio format support. Just to set your expectation, I would recommend subscribing to this topic as well as our announcement thread to be updated about any feature release and updates.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help out.

Thanks,

I would also like to recommend connecting the Sonos Arc directly to the TV as well as your Xbox

I’m not sure what this means… The only way I see to connect xbox tv and arc is XBOX → TV → Arc Is that correct?

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @paulvanbrenk.

Thanks for the immediate response.

Yes, that is what I mean. XBOX connected to the TV via HDMI and the Sonos Arc also connected to the TV via HDMI ARC or HDMI eARC.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help out.

Thanks,

Hi @paulvanbrenk.

Yes, that is what I mean. XBOX connected to the TV via HDMI and the Sonos Arc also connected to the TV via HDMI ARC or HDMI eARC.

Thanks,

I did this and when I go to bitstream out on Xbox one x and select Dolby Atmos it says receiver does not support this. Am I doing something wrong? I have a Sony x930e and have the sonos arc going directly to the tv hdmi(ARC) and the Xbox is going to a high bandwidth hdmi port. Any suggestions?

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Musicmike69.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. Thanks for doing the extra effort on testing out some troubleshooting steps.

I would like to try and check if we can connect the Sonos Arc to the eARC port on the TV if it is available as this is the only connection capable of transporting Atmos codec. You can also try to check if there are updates available for the TV and see if it would also help.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks,

Hi @Musicmike69.

I would like to try and check if we can connect the Sonos Arc to the eARC port on the TV if it is available as this is the only connection capable of transporting Atmos codec. You can also try to check if there are updates available for the TV and see if it would also help.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks,

Would have been nice to know before I spent all this money on a Sonos 5.1 system. I could have gone with a cheaper company and had the Atmos and kept my current tv. You guys are a r**** I’m going to return this.

For DTS discs in your Xbox, you have to let the xbox encode the sound before passing it.  In the Settings menu, go to Blu Ray settings, then change the audio.  Unfortunately you have to change it back to bitstream to re-enable Atmos to be passed through natively.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Musicmike69.

Thanks for the immediate and detailed response.

I would like to clarify that it is indicated on our website the Sonos Arc’s specifications, limitations, and functionalities.  The capabilities of the Sonos Arc to produce Dolby Atmos still depends on the capabilities of the TV to generate Dolby Atmos codec. You may want to update your TV’s firmware and check out with the manufacturer to see if the TV can support Dolby Atmos. 

I hope this clears things up.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

I've been trying to figure this out too. This is what I think is correct so far:

For Dolby Atmos you must have a TV with an eArc HDMI port, AKA HDMI 2.1. The only TV's that seem to have them are the relatively new LG OLED and some Sony QLED sets among others. They're about £1k right now which i can't justify (to my wife) as I've got a half decent 4k TV already.

To get Dolby True sound and lossless audio you need a TV with a standard Arc HDMI socket.

For 5.1 SS you can use optical still. I'm not sure about 7.1.

Hope this helps.