Question

Sonos Arc and my Panasonic EX700B

• 11 May 2020
  • 7 replies

Hi All, 

I am new to this so firstly apologies if this is a silly question or I am posting in the wrong forum. I have a Panasonic TX-50EX700B and I am super tempted by the upcoming Sonos Arc, Sub and One SL combo. I have a fairly serious home cinema set up now (Onkyo TXNR636 amp and Dali Zensor 5 5.1 speakers). I also have several play 1’s dotted around the house and the outgoing connect in the lounge counnected to the Onkyo and Dali’s.

The Connect probably gets the most use via the surround system for music throughout the day. With the trade up programme I am tempted to simplify everything and get an Arc and Sub and a couple more Play 1’s.

Writing this I have realised I actually have two questions:

1. Should I just replace the connect with the new Port (hasn’t had a great review from what hifi) and carry on as I am
  2. If I go for the Arc, where can I find out if I will get Dolby Atmos, or Dolby True HD or Dolby Digital Plus? Seems odd it isn’t just written anywhere (i’m also aware this is probably more a question for Panasonic rather than here). AND will the quality be good enough to justify the simplicity of the system?

Anyway, look forward to seeing what the community has to offer.

Thanks in advance

John

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

1.  Pay no attention to What HiFi.  Their reviews are full of subjective audiophile nonsense.  The Port is bit-perfect when used at Fixed volume.  That’s all you need to know.  
  2. That TV has an HDMI-ARC port.  So you should get Atmos with DD+.  

Thanks jgatie for the speedy reply - much appreciated.

1. Fair point, I don’t always agree with some of the stuff they say to be fair.
  2. you say I should get Atmos with DD+, any idea where I can read up on this as there is a lot of should/might/depends on your manufacturer comments  

Thanks jgatie for the speedy reply - much appreciated.

1. Fair point, I don’t always agree with some of the stuff they say to be fair.

That review was utter nonsense.  Any review that calls a component “disorganised as a teenager’s bedroom” is useless, especially when all they had to do was capture the bitstream to know it was bit-perfect.  However, that doesn’t give the opportunity for flowery, subjective BS.

1. you say I should get Atmos with DD+, any idea where I can read up on this as there is a lot of should/might/depends on your manufacturer comments  

It has the required hardware, but only Panasonic knows for sure.  I’d contact them.  

There are a lot of links around to places like rtings.com(?) that might help, but then there’s a lot of speculation also around the source device, as well as the actual service you’re using, which may not be in Atmos.

Shoot, I have issues with name local channels frequently not broadcasting in Dolby Digital, I suspect hoping for Atmos is unlikely. There seems to be some concerns about Apple’s implementation on their TV product as well, I’m taking a wait and see, while I’m going to install an Arc anyway. There are a lot of features there that are exciting beyond just the Atmos possibility. Most of this is covered in the Announcments thread, which would be a great place to start. 

Badge

Dolby Atmos will only run on a TV with eARC not just ARC. so I dont think that TV will be compatiable.

I have that TV, and even having issues running 5.1 DD from SKYQ on my Playbar.

Huh?

Dolby Atmos will run on HDMI ARC using Dolby Digital Plus.

Dolby Atmos will only run on a TV with eARC not just ARC. so I dont think that TV will be compatiable.

I have that TV, and even having issues running 5.1 DD from SKYQ on my Playbar.

Nope.  Dolby Atmos can be part of Dolby Digital+ (and is only available with DD+ on most streaming vendors; Amazon, Netflix, Disney+, Vudu, etc), and Dolby Digital+ w/ Atmos is fully compatible with ARC