Sonos Arc and 2020 Samsung Frame Atmos issue

Badge

I just bought a 2020 Samsung Frame and Sonos Arc and I wanted to test the Dolby Atmos feature but when I tried the only app I could get to output Dolby Atmos as shown in the Sonos app was Amazon Prime Video. I’m using the built in apps on the Frame TV. When I play Netflix content that should be Atmos is says Dolby Multichannel PCM 2.0. I have the premium Netflix subscriptions and it says Atmos under the title in Netflix but only Dolby Multichannel PCM 2.0 in the Sonos app. When I play from Disney Plus I get Dolby Multichannel PCM 5.1 at least, and I get Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 when playing Apple TV+. I understand their might be some issues with Disney and Apple, but at the very least Netflix should be outputting Atmos. I’ve also read about all the issues with eArc and audio cutting out with the Samsung Frame, fortunately I haven’t had any of those issues, just the issue of it not outputting Atmos when it should be. Hopefully I’m just missing something simple.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Userlevel 7

Can you post your current audio and HDMI settings on your TV?

Badge

Sound Output: Receiver (HDMI)

HDMI-eArc Mode: Auto

Digital output audio format: Auto

Dolby Atmos Compatibility: checked

Userlevel 7

What other options do you have under “Digital output audio format”? Is there a Pass Through setting?

Badge

The sound output now automatically changed to: Receiver (HDMI-eArc).

Yes other options for Digital output audio format are pass-through and PCM. But it doesn’t let me choose pass through, it’s greyed out.

Badge

If I change HDMI-eArc Mode to off it changes to Dolby Digital plus 5.1 in the Sonos app when playing Netflix instead of Dolby multichannel pcm 2.0, but never Dolby Atmos.

Userlevel 7

The goal is to get the pass-through setting activated. With it set to Auto, the TV seems to be converting the audio it receives from the apps to PCM.

Badge

Hmmm It lets me change it to pass through if I’m watching normal cable but whenever I switch to Netflix it goes back to auto and pass through is greyed out.

Badge

Switching from auto to passthrough while watching cable also switches the audio in the Sonos app from Dolby multichannel pcm 5.1 to Dolby Digital plus 5.1

Userlevel 7

Switching from auto to passthrough while watching cable also switches the audio in the Sonos app from Dolby multichannel pcm 5.1 to Dolby Digital plus 5.1

Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 is what you want from cable. The “passthrough” setting is allowing the audio to pass through your TV to the Arc in its original form which is what you want. Now we need to figure out how to achieve the same with your TV’s internal apps.

Badge

Well that’s good. Ya the main issue seems to be the TVs internal Netflix/Disney/Apple apps, specifically Netflix. It’s weird that amazon prime works perfectly but nothing else.

Userlevel 7

Yes, it is weird. And Prime Video is extremely limited in their Dolby Atmos content.

Just curious... what does the Sonos app say when playing Atmos content on Prime Video? Does it show Dolby Atmos (DD+)? You’ll have to look under Settings > System > About My System and see what is listed after “Audio In:”.

Badge

It just shows “Audio In: Dolby Atmos”. No “(DD+)”.

Userlevel 7

If I change HDMI-eArc Mode to off it changes to Dolby Digital plus 5.1 in the Sonos app when playing Netflix instead of Dolby multichannel pcm 2.0, but never Dolby Atmos.

If you set eARC Mode to off when watching Netflix, is the Passthrough option available?

After some research, it looks like Dolby Atmos isn’t supported on the TV’s native Disney+ and Apple TV+ apps. But Dolby Atmos is supported on the native Netflix app.

Do you have the latest firmware on your TV?

Badge

Ya I wasn’t sure about Disney and Apple, but though for sure Netflix should work.

No, when I set eArc mode to off I still don’t have the pass through option available while watching Netflix, but it does change from Dolby multichannel pcm 2.0 to Dolby Digital plus 5.1 in the Sonos app. 

TV is up to date (version 1462.1). I also reset everything on the TV, reinstalled Netflix, still not working. 

Badge

FYI, I finally figured it out. It turns out there is a ‘Data Usage’ setting buried deep within the Netflix account options and mine was set to ‘Low’. Once I set it to ‘Auto’ or ‘High’ Dolby Atmos started showing up in the Sonos app when watching Atmos ready Netflix shows.

Thanks for all your help. 

Can u tell where u found the setting in netflix?

Badge

I had to do it on my laptop, I couldn’t find it on my phone or tv app. I clicked on my profile in the top right corner and then clicked on ‘Account’, from there I went to the ‘Profile & Parental controls’ section and clicked on the profile I wanted to change, and then it’s the last option, ‘Playback Settings’. Click on change and then you can choose auto, low, medium, or high. I was on low and switching to auto or high starting showing Atmos in the Sonos app.