Sonos and Youtube...

• 15 August 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Youtube is basicly free but it looks like that Sonos app do not accept free account. So we need to pay Youtube Premium to be able to play music with Sonos.

Did Sonos think about its customers by adding the option to sync the image of the video to cast it in our smart TVs?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Sonos is not the company that makes a choice like that, it is the streaming company who decides what content to make available in the Sonos ecosystem. You may want to read some of the information on the Sonos partners page.

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

@Airgetlam  You did not answer my question at all.

My question was:

Did Sonos think about its customers by adding the option to sync the image of the video to cast it in our smart TVs with the youtube premium membership.

In others words in want to stream the music on sonos speakers   and the video on my tv at same time from my phone.

Since Sonos doesn’t stream video at all, only audio from the speakers, and not the controller device,  I wouldn’t think so. They’ve never done any splitting on a stream before, and would have to rewrite the underlying assumptions in their code base. 

You could, however, stream the YouTube content to your TV in any way you chose (Apple TV, smart TV apps, Roku, etc) and have the audio stream enter the Sonos ecosystem via the connected Sonos soundbar (Arc or Beam) or Sonos Amp, and have the audio play in Sonos. However, any ‘grouped’ rooms with the TV’s ‘room’ would have a slight delay. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Oviously they prefer to sell us an arc system instead simply put a cast button for the image like tons of others app like vlc and all othersvideos players in the world.

@Thewizard2000 There  isn't  a simple answer to your question as there are multiple parts to your question. 

As Bruce stated,  streaming service decide what content is streamable directly  through Sonos.

To have audio on your phone (like YouTube) played on Sonos, you can use airplay2 (Apple onlyl or Bluetooth (Move or Roam only).

To have audio on your TV play on Sonos,  use a Sonos product designed to work with your TV...Arc, Beam, or Amp.

Sonos doesn't sync images (or video) from your phone to your TV with any service, including YouTube.  I don't think that was actually the intent of your question, but covering it anyway.

Oviously they prefer to sell us an arc system instead simply put a cast button for the image like tons of others app like vlc and all othersvideos players in the world.

As Bruce stated, the Sonos app is a controller, not a video player.  It isn't an audio player either. There is no casting button because there  is nothing there  to cast.

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

@melvimbe thank you