Answered

Sonos and Netgear Nighthawk

• 25 December 2020
  • 2 replies

I have recently moved to a remote area without Broadband, so am using a 4G Netgear Nighthawk MR2100 as my new router. This works well with very acceptable speeds for streaming etc. However Sonos will not connect to it. I have a PlayBar and Sonos 1 that have served me well for 3-4 years. 

The PlayBar is hardwired from the Nighthawk. The Nighthawk recognises that a Sonos product is connected to it, but neither the Sonos iOS app or the Mac App will connect to it. I have restarted and rebooted everything multiple times and checked for updates. 

The Nighthawk MR2100 is not on Sonos’s list of unsupported models. 

Can anyone help? Thanks

icon

Best answer by buzz 25 December 2020, 22:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Jon2095.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for bringing this to our attention and thanks for doing the extra mile of starting with some basic troubleshooting steps. I would like to provide some recommendations to help you out.

I would suggest calling our technical support team for more in-depth troubleshooting steps, It is best that you be familiar with the following information so we can check our articles if we have a known issue with your network hardware. There could be other causes that trigger this issue and needs further and more in-depth troubleshooting steps and investigation. There may be a setting in the router that prohibits Sonos from communicating with in the network itself. I would also like to suggest getting familiar with the information below as it may help with the investigation and will be asked with in contact with our technical support team.

1. Router make and model.
  2. Modem make and model.
  3. Wifi booster or extender make and model.
  4. Mesh system make and model.
  5. Secondary or tertiary router make and model.
  6. Other devices wired to the router.
  7. Network switch or hub make and model.
  8. Other devices wirelessly connected to the router.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. Here in the community, everybody can help you out.

Thanks,

Full disclosure: I’m not a 2100 user.

Probably the 2100 does not fully support communication from the wired side to the WiFi side. If you have a standard router, turn OFF the 2100’s WiFi and connect a standard WiFi router to a wired port on the 2100 and use the standard router for your network. In this configuration you are using the 2100 as a modem.

Edit: I quickly scanned through the manual. Disabling the WiFi may make the unit difficult to control. If you keep the 2100’s WiFi enabled, establish an SSID that is used only to control the 2100.