Question

Sonos AMP LipSync with tv not accurate

• 5 September 2019
  • 10 replies

Dear All,

I am trying to use my newly bought Sonos Amp with an Philips TV (42PFL6805H), KPN decoder (Arris VIP2952 V2) and a google Chromecast. TV HDMI ARC out to Sonos Amp with a high speed cable.

Unfortunately there's an delay between video and audio. Sync tool of the Sonos won't fix it, and no adjustments in the tv possible.

Please, anybody ideas to solve this problem? Talking heads in talkshows are strange to look at, Blockbuster movies not much dialogue in a long shot so, then its acceptable. But Want to get it right....

Does a splitter HDMI matrix with two HDMI outputs (1 to tv, one to sonos) will solve this problem?

Any help very much appreciated!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

You’re on the right track, just not quite there.

The issue you’re dealing with is the TV isn’t outputting the signal without adding some delay to it. You could look at the TVs audio settings, and remove or turn off any potential “extras” to the audio stream, and see if that helps.

But if it doesn’t, you can’t just split the HDMI input and send it to the Beam. The Beam is expecting an HDMIxARC input, which is not what the source device would be sending, it’s only what the TV would be sending. So, what up you really wabpnt to do is get a switch that strips the audio out, and sends it out via an optical port, and use that to connect to the adapter that came with the Beam.

There are a lot of threads in this area of the forum that discuss this. I don’t use one, so I have no particular recommendation.
You’re on the right track, just not quite there.

The issue you’re dealing with is the TV isn’t outputting the signal without adding some delay to it. You could look at the TVs audio settings, and remove or turn off any potential “extras” to the audio stream, and see if that helps.

But if it doesn’t, you can’t just split the HDMI input and send it to the Beam. The Beam is expecting an HDMIxARC input, which is not what the source device would be sending, it’s only what the TV would be sending. So, what up you really wabpnt to do is get a switch that strips the audio out, and sends it out via an optical port, and use that to connect to the adapter that came with the Beam.

There are a lot of threads in this area of the forum that discuss this. I don’t use one, so I have no particular recommendation.

Hi!

Tnx for your answer!
Maybe I wasn't clear:

I have a TV with HDMI ARC out to the SONOS AMP (HDMI ARC IN). I'm not using a beam.
So HDMI to HDMI.

Still any help appreciated.
Pretty much everything in my post remains valid. HDMI-ARC is HDMI-ARC, whether it's going to a Beam or a Sonos Amp.

The delay you're experiencing is still due to the TV doing something to the audio stream before it sends it out on the HDMI-ARC stream.

The only thing that would change in my original post would be that you'd need to buy the adapter from Sonos which isn't included with the Sonos Amp (but is with the Beam) that would take the audio signal from the optical output from the switch and put it into the HDMI-ARC that the Sonos Amp would interpret.

What you're doing is removing the audio stream from the responsibility of going through the TV's circuitry. Therefore, the TV can't slow it down.
HI!

I think you're right!
So a switch with this adapter should do the trick?
(another E 100,- but hey, than we have lip-sync 🙂
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
HI!

I think you're right!
So a switch with this adapter should do the trick?
(another E 100,- but hey, than we have lip-sync :-)

Hi I've had this issue from time to time with my Amp and rebooting the Amp has brought the sound back in sync. Just a suggestion to try before you spend more $$
Hi!

Well, tried above but unfortunately no luck.. It's nearly sync but it isn't 100% accurate. It annoys me to be honest.

Is this route also an option:

Using the optical out from the tv using the adapter?
(trying to use the audio output of the tv because add ing a switch is an extra step that i would try to avoid..

Anyone had experience with the optical out from the Arris Decode VIP2952 V2 connecting to sonos?
Check the Philips tv manual page 41 to 42 it deal with delay.
Check the Philips tv manual page 41 to 42 it deal with delay.

I did and it won’t help. No adjustment in ms is possible on the Philips tv.

i connected the spdif optical cable from the arris decoder directly to the amp and this works flawlessly. The delay in the hdmi arc from the Philips tv is the problem unfortunately.

So if I want to use multiple inputs I will have get an HMDI audio extractor with multiple inputs.

so the problem is the tv, not the Amp.
(Although a negative correction for the audio in the settings of the amp would also solve the problem :-))
How can you play the data before it is received? That would be a spectacular setting!
Is the tv software updated?