Answered

SONOS 5.1 setup stopped working

• 6 January 2019
  • 6 replies

I have the following setup: playbar, sub, and 2 Sonos ones. The system was working fine and then stopped working completely. The playbar stopped working and would not reconnect. Worked with Crutchfiled tech support, but still could not fix. The system is brand new and thus they are sending me a new playbar. I unplugged the playbar for a day and then today tried to set it up again. I was successful setting it up and adding the sub and the surrounds, but the only thing generating sound is the playbar. I have a bridge connected to my router. It doesn’t matter whether I am playing music or the TV - only sound is the playbar.
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 6 January 2019, 03:38

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Anyone have any ideas? Do I need to contact Sonos directly?
Since you've got a new PLAYBAR coming, I'm not sure what you're expecting here.

If you feel like there's no sound coming from the SUB or surrounds, there's several things to be checking. Most obviously, I'd be looking to see if the system thinks it's receiving. Open up the controller app, and look at Settings>About My Sonos System while playing the TV, preferably a movie of some sort, something that has a Dolby Digital soundtrack (not the news, for instance).

If the Audio In line under the PLAYBAR says stereo, then you'll need to look at all of the audio settings for the devices you have connected. Start with the TV set, and make sure that it's set up to pass Dolby Digital through to the optical port. You'll also need to check the audio settings on all devices that you have connected to the TV, any cable/satellite/game/DVD device.

While you're looking in the controller app, take a look at the room settings page for the room that you have the PLAYBAR in. Does it say +Sub, +LS, +RS or does it have some question marks?

Then go in to that room, and click on Advanced Audio, and click on Sub settings, and make sure that the Sub is actually "on". Back up a page, and go in to Surround Settings, and make sure that the surrounds are "on", and Music Playback is set to "Full".

Stream some music to the room that is the PLAYBAR. Is there sound coming from the surrounds now? Is the Sub working?
I understand I have a new playbar coming, but it will not arrive for a few days and thus I am attempting to get what I have working. I have confirmed that the in setting is Dolby Digital 5.1 and that everything is on. I also have the +sub + LS + RS. When I could not get the playbar connected it had a ? mark. When I stream music I still get no sound from the sub or the surrounds. When I check the my system settings I see some items have information under the OTP heading and others do not. I am not sure if this is an issue or not. When I attempt to do the Trueplay setup I get a message about a speaker is not listening and the setup stops.

Thanks for our feedback.
Any time you have a ? showing, it usually means that device hasn’t received an IP address properly from your router. You may find it helpful to go ahead and assign all of your items reserved addresses in your router’s DHCP table, to remove that as a possible source of trouble, and allow you to focus on other issues.
Thanks. I no longer have the ? Mark and the playbar is connected. Should I still consider setting the IP addresses?
Not immediately, but long term, I'd advise it. It'll make life easier for the long term. Deal with one issue at a time. Give yourself time to unwind between each issue.