Some sort of HDMI 2.2 and optical switch

• 22 November 2018
  • 5 replies

Badge
Have been reading threads about switches but nothing quite fit the bill with my needs. So, here goes:
TV and Playbar mounted on wall with power (x2), single HDMI 4K (2.2)lead, Ethernet (x2) and optical going into wall about four feet and coming out near plug sockets. The reason I tell you this is because I do not want a load of wires trailing across wall.
I have HDMI 2.2 lead and optical connected to Sky Q with HDMI going to TV and optical going to Playbar. TV optical is only 2.0 output so did not want that connecting to Playbar.
I have recently bought an Amazon Fire Stick 4K however, since there is only 1 2.2 HDMI input into TV, I have to keep unplugging Sky Q to plug in Fire stick. Also, the Fire stick sound only comes out of TV speakers which sound rubbish compared to Playbar with Play 1s as surround. As well as that, the fire stick needs power (USB from TV not powerful enough apparently so wires have to run across wall via extension plug.)
I have looked into other threads which talk about the Octava HD41. I could set that up with Sky Q input 1 and Fire stick input 2. If I spent that much money, would the Fire stick plug into that with the sound coming out of the optical?
Thanks for any help in this. I hope it made sense because, frankly, I got a bit confused typing it!!!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7
I think you mean HDMI 2.0b?

HDMI 2.1 isn't out yet, never mind 2.2 (2.1 is due in 2020)
Badge
Thanks for your reply. I am not an expert on TVs. My mistake: It does say HDCP 2.2 not HDMI. The Fire stick says it must be plugged into one of those as does the Sky Q and I have only one.
Sorry again.
Userlevel 4
Badge +9
What TV do you have? Does your TV not have an optical out? Hopefully this picture makes sense..

Badge
Thanks for the reply. I have an LG with 2.0 output so therefore will not get 5.1 surround sound into Playbar.
Userlevel 4
Badge +9
Do you know what model LG? You could get a 3.5mm --> Optical adapter and use your TVs headphone port (similar idea to my setup https://en.community.sonos.com/setting-up-sonos-228990/sharing-my-new-sonos-setup-with-vinyl-player-and-tv-connection-6797724 ), but don't think it would be 5.1 either. Or if your TV is old maybe look for an upgrade as it's Black Friday / Cyber Monday?