Solving the 5.1, DTS issues with the Playbar

This thread is specifically for those who are trying to understand the Playbars 5.1 and DTS issues.

As most of you know the Playbar does not convert DTS signal. It also will only convert 2.0 to SIMULATED PCM 5.1 signal. If you can live with the simulated signal, then you are ahead of the game. IF you want PURE unadulterated 5.1 from your DirecTV or Cable, you WILL most likely have to buy a switch like this one. http://www.monoprice.com/products/7974
Or a Bluray converter like this one.
http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/

MOST tvs will not convert true 5.1. There are some on this thread that say they do, but most dont. I found this out the hard way by buying one of Samsungs highest end tv's, only to find out that 2.0 is all im ever gunna get.
A $75 switch is a bargain IMO to have such sound to the Playbar the way it is intended. IF you want 1080p up convert video and and 5.1 audio, then a simular Bluray like the Oppo is for you.

Concerning movies that are only on DTS:
Oppo can convert the DTS signal to PCM 5.1 as well. I do not know about the Switch, because I do not have one.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

205 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
I got a Sony UBP X800 BD player and can't get 5.1 from DTS tracks. I can get stereo when going through my TV which a Philips 55PUK7150/12. I tried a couple of those HDMI audio extractors without luck so far.
Very frustrating and such a waste of time, I wish we could get Sonos to eventually implement DTS support. It's obviously not a technical issue but a cost saving one as they spare themselves the DTS license. I would be happy to buy that license myself as an in-app purchase for instance.

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/have-sonos-add-dts-support-6826460
Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi Guys,

My new setup banishes all the woes and frustration with the lack of DTS on the Soundbar:-

TV - Sony KD-55xd9305 4K TV - all inputs via HDMI, all Audio output via Optical to Soundbar
(Yes the Sony does pass DD 5.1 bitstream via optical)

Blu Ray Player - Samsung BD-J7500 (current cost around £100) Video & Audio output via HMDI, Audio settings - Convert ALL formats to DD 5.1 Bitstream.

Audio - Sonos Soundbar & Sub (Soon to be joined by a pair of Play 1's)

Outcome - Fan-bloody-tastic 5.1 sound to go along with a truly stunning picture !!

I know it's not a cheap solution but after reading all the threads on here regarding this issue it just made sense to make sure i brought compatible devices to make the most of the Sonos system which i already had and i was able to ditch my optical switch box and all the extra cables?

Obviously i would ideally prefer a DTS update for the Soundbar but until that time (if ever) then i'm one happy little chappy .

BTW - I also now play all MKV media files through the Samsung via 2TB USB 2.0 drive and 99.9% of them are upscaled to 3840 x 2160 and the audio output is DD 5.1 so same result as Blu Ray!

While i appreciate that there are more expansive Audio soundtracks available now (DTS-HD, DTS-TrueHD, DD Plus, ATMOS etc) I am more than happy with the sound i'm currently getting as is my whole family!!

I have a similar setup, but with the Samsung UBD-k8500 player. It doesn't downmix the more recent audio formats, such as DTS-HD when playing from an external HDD. Does anyone have an alternate player, that does downmxi these formats ?  The Apple TV does downmixing really well, but I cant stream 4K MKVs across my network, only 1080p so am looking for a solution that works via an external HDD

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The Xbox can down-convert everything to DD 5.1. I have no idea how well it can play MKVs from external media though.

Badge

I have not been feeling that the sound was right when watching TV and thanks to this thread I confirmed in the Sonos App that I am only getting Stereo from 2 for my three rooms.  I literally have Sonos in every room of my house and I am starting to feel by wanting to stay consistent and simple is holding me back.  The only room where I see DD 5.1 is the small room where I have a Beam (with a sub and 2 PlayOnes).  My other two Playbars, one connected to an LG and one to a Samsung are showing stereo now matter if from local apps or from Roku Apps.  Unless Sonos comes out with a ‘BeamBar’ soon that supports HDMI all the way up to ATMOS I may have to start thinking about going somewhere else.

-John 

I have not been feeling that the sound was right when watching TV and thanks to this thread I confirmed in the Sonos App that I am only getting Stereo from 2 for my three rooms.  I literally have Sonos in every room of my house and I am starting to feel by wanting to stay consistent and simple is holding me back.  The only room where I see DD 5.1 is the small room where I have a Beam (with a sub and 2 PlayOnes).  My other two Playbars, one connected to an LG and one to a Samsung are showing stereo now matter if from local apps or from Roku Apps.  Unless Sonos comes out with a ‘BeamBar’ soon that supports HDMI all the way up to ATMOS I may have to start thinking about going somewhere else.

-John 

If your TV won’t pass-through Dolby, you can always bypass the TV to get a Dolby 5.1 signal from your TV connected peripherals by using an audio splitter/extractor ..there are plenty such devices available online and widely discussed here in the community threads.

I’m quite surprised your LG TV doesn’t support Dolby over Optical/HDMI  … but I know some older Samsung TV’s are not always good in this area for allowing such signals to pass-through their ports. The audio splitter/extractor is likely to solve the matter for you,