Should I add Sonos ONE pair or SUB to existing PLAYBASE in small / narrow apartment ?

• 19 March 2018
  • 3 replies

I recently purchased a PLAYBASE and would like feedback on whether adding the SUB vs 2 ONES would offer more sound improvement, given my apartment space and listening priorities.

1. TV audio output, in the form of shows, sports, and movies (mainly Netflix) will be the main use of the speakers. I'd estimate the usage breakdown is something like 75% Home Theatre / 25% Streaming Music.
2. The shape of my apartment's main room / kitchen is a long rectangle. I've sketched a crude diagram of the apartment to offer some added context. I've identified the position of my sofa, the PLAYBASE, and where the 2 ONES would be located. The main room is basically two 12'x12' rooms that are combined with a 2 foot pillar in the middle. This leads to suboptimal acoustics.
3. My TV is a LG OLED65B7A.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Either one, depending on what you want to experience. A Sub can add impact; low rumbling effects, hard hitting explosions, etc. Surrounds can be subtle or dynamic, like a rainstorm all around you, or bullets whizzing by, but they do not have the guttural impact of the sub. Either setup can be Trueplayed to help with any sub-optimal acoustics in the room.
I would go with the Ones for now, partially because they are on sale. You can get a sub later.

Are you concerned about sound bothering the neighbors?
I would go with the Ones for now, partially because they are on sale. You can get a sub later.
They are not on sale any longer. I believe the 2 for $350 deal expired over the weekend.

Are you concerned about sound bothering the neighbors?
I am very much concerned about this. Haven't even played the PLAYBASE above 50% volume yet. Accordingly, my preference for this purchase to is elevate the quality of detail in my overall system more so than just raising my 'loudness capacity'.