Answered

Setting up Sonos Beam, One and Boost with BT Whole Home Mini

• 21 October 2020
  • 5 replies

Hi, I’m brand new to Sonos having just bought a Beam, a One and a Boost today. I’m intending to set them up tomorrow and after poring through numerous threads in the community I’ve become a bit confused. The house I’m setting them up in has Plusnet 4 mbps broadband with faster broadband not being available in that location. In the room with the router and TV it is adequate for everything I do but elsewhere it is often flaky. I’ve just bought a BT Whole Home mini system to hopefully solve that which I’m also intending to set up tomorrow. The TV is old and has HDMI and optical outputs but not HDMI Arc. What I’m not sure about is how the BT system and the Sonos Boost will co-exist and how to best set them up. I’d been intending to connect the Beam to the TV with the optical adaptor and to the router with ethernet (because I’d read that a wired system is better with poor wifi). I assumed the Boost will also connect to the router with ethernet and similarly the BT Whole Home. Having read many threads here I’m no longer sure about this. I’m not sure if I need to connect both the Beam and the Boost to the router and I don’t know whether it will be better to try to link the Sonos set up to the BT system or to the original Plusnet network. I’d be very grateful for any advice.

icon

Best answer by controlav 21 October 2020, 16:19

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I would wire the Boost into the Ethernet jack on the BT router, and do nothing else - use SonosNet for all your other devices (ie avoid using the BT WiFi stack for everything Sonos, except your phone).

Connect the Beam to the optical output of the TV (via the adapter).

Whether you hard-wire anything other than the Boost depends on preference, and how well it works wirelessly. Keep it simple.

Thanks that’s helpful and I would prefer to keep it as simple as possible. I’m assuming it will be better to set up the Sonos system first by beginning with the Beam (or One) and then adding the Boost before setting up the BT system.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Thanks that’s helpful and I would prefer to keep it as simple as possible. I’m assuming it will be better to set up the Sonos system first by beginning with the Beam (or One) and then adding the Boost before setting up the BT system.

If the beam is wired, sure, but if the Beam needs to be wireless then that will be more complicated to set up.

That may be the cause of my problem. I got the Beam and the One set up ok but the not the Boost. The instructions said there’d be an “Add Boost” option on the app which I couldn’t find so I tried the add product option but the app couldn’t find it. I had the Boost wired to the router but not the Beam. I switched it on and off unplugged and re-plugged it in but to no avail. I found a thread on here which suggested using advanced settings to do something I didn’t quite follow but I couldn’t find advanced settings anywhere on the app on my iphone or mac. So right now I’m stumped. I will try wiring the Beam but I can’t do that yet as I don’t have another ethernet cable. The speakers are working ok but because the internet here is so poor I thought I’d be better off with the Boost to take some of the load off my standard network. I haven’t set up the BT Whole Home system yet either because setting up Sonos ended up taking me much longer than I’d expected and I’ve had enough for tonight!

I forgot to mention that I did take the ethernet cable out of the Boost and wire up the Beam instead so I’ve now got a Sonosnet wired set up.