Answered

Samsung JS/JU Model TVs Audio Issue with PLAYBAR

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Retired Sonos Staff
  • 12372 replies
We've determined there to be an issue with Dolby Digital playback devices (including the Sonos PLAYBAR) and Samsung televisions in the JS and JU series. An example of a TV model number of this line would be the Samsung UN55JS8500. The optical output from these televisions doesn't pass a consistent signal to devices wired in through that connection. This could present when you're watching any Dolby Digital content through the TV's optical connection.

As a workaround if you're using one of these TVs, you can set the output of the TV to PCM (Stereo). There isn't any issue currently with that TV streaming stereo content to the PLAYBAR through the optical. Otherwise, you can look into using a different device. Some suggestions for setups and community recommended devices can be found here on our megathread.

We are working with Samsung on this issue, but there isn't currently a timeframe for a resolution. We'll update you as soon as there are any further details.

Because of the nature of this issue, we've added these televisions to our PLAYBAR Compatibility page which can be found here.
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 10 November 2017, 19:12

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

214 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge
Exactly Barros, the update just reduces the frequency of the drop outs. I have the same issue.
Badge
Still no update here in the UK. I'm still confused. Conflicting statements everywhere some saying that my Samsung TV is giving a signal already to provide 5.1 surround sound. Others saying that it's just giving a stereo output which won't give 5.1
Badge
I'm still confused though. Some people say that my Samsung tv will give the correct output signal for 5.1 surround sound through our Sonos system. Other people are saying it won't be 5.1 surround sound as my tv is only giving a stereo output...
Badge
Sorry for double post there. My first reply didn't show straight away.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for the details everyone. I'm passing them on to the team here that is working with Samsung. I'd also encourage you to reach out to Samsung support as well if you haven't yet. It'd be great for them to see this too. I'll let you know if we have any more details around this.

If you have a chance, the next time a cutout comes up can you submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and reply back with your confirmation number?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Firmware 1460 update: Had several dropout watching Ballers on DirecTV DVR. Then switched to on-demand to watch The Night Of - which was in stereo only (confirmed Samsung was sending PCM) and *it* dropped out a few times.....

I'll do a diagnostic next time this comes up!
Badge
Ok I've just updated to firmese 1460
My sonos app is still showing a stereo input even with my tv set to output dolby
Badge
Firmware...
Badge
Will this change when I add my sub and play 1s on Friday?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Ok I've just updated to firmese 1460
My sonos app is still showing a stereo input even with my tv set to output dolby

Oh, I need to check that. I noticed my TV was sending PCM last night.... but I was able to switch to DD and I could hear the audio space expand... But should check the app status
Badge
I can (and have) changed the TV optical output to Dolby digital but the Sonos app still says it's getting a stereo input.
Someone... anyone.. please help. i love the sound of my Sonos system...with the exception of when the sound cuts out on my JU series samsung tv. I first noticed a problem watching a movie on demand. Then i was watching something on the DVR and the sound cut out. I came on here and saw all the threads about this issue and then was really excited when i saw the samsung firmware fix (1455.0) But then i was really bummed to find out that my tv already had the latest version. I am willing to hear workarounds for this because i really don't want to have to return this... but it is noticeable enough that if there isn't a fix i am going to have to send it back.

Diagnostics number: 6409771
Incident: 160801-001742
Userlevel 3
Badge
A temporary fix :
Set the TV's Audio format and HDMI format to PCM and then set HD Audio to ON. Then reset the TV.
A temporary fix :
Set the TV's Audio format and HDMI format to PCM and then set HD Audio to ON. Then reset the TV.

Can you tell me why more people just don't do this. Does it drop sound quality or do you have to switch over to listen to music etc? Thanks for taking the time to reply and help me out.
Userlevel 3
Badge
No problem. To be honest, we shouldn't have to do this. The TV should work flawlessly on its own but it doesn't. Samsung and Sonos don't play well together. I learned that immediately as soon as I hooked up my Samsung TV to my Sonos system. At first I had no idea what was happening until I searched the online forums. Then supposedly Samsung came out with a software update which corrected the problem but it didn't. It just reduced the frequency of the drop outs, it didn't eliminate them.
Userlevel 3
Badge
*There isn't a noticeable sound difference in my opinion.
*There isn't a noticeable sound difference in my opinion.

Hey Mike.. One last thing... i was reading that the PCM doesn't give the full surround sound feel even if you're just using soundbar and woofer because PCM allows for only 2 channels. Didn't know if you (or anyone else) had any thoughts on that.

Thanks
Same drop-outs here. Samsung UE65JU6470UXZG, firmware 1460, Sonos boost, playbar, sub, 2x play3.
Set the TV's Audio format and HDMI format to PCM and set HD Audio to ON. Now testing this setup.
Only prefer to have the "best" sound after paying a lot of money for the "best" system...
Please keep on searching for the correct solution and keep us informed!
Badge
Woohoo! My 8500 series 55" Samsung curved tv is now outputting 5.1 dolby digital to my Sonos playbar. Coupled with the sub and 2 play 1s the sound quality is incredible when watching DD movies. Thank you Samsung and Sonos. Can't wait to start watching my film collection again
Badge
The original firmware update (1455) seemingly fixed this issue for me. Once it updated to 1460 the drops seemed to return, but not nearly as often. Hopefully another firmware release can eliminate this issue once and for all.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi everyone, I just wanted to update you all that the K series Samsung TVs had a similar issue which has now been addressed as well. Samsung released a firmware update (version 1121.1) to resolve this issue for K series TVs.
Badge
I've managed to get full 5.1 surround direct from tv using optical cable to playbar and also from ps4 but I have tp chance the optical cable from.the tv and put it directly in ps4 to get this. Small price to pay for sucj incredible sound though
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thanks for the details everyone. I'm passing them on to the team here that is working with Samsung. I'd also encourage you to reach out to Samsung support as well if you haven't yet. It'd be great for them to see this too. I'll let you know if we have any more details around this.

If you have a chance, the next time a cutout comes up can you submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and reply back with your confirmation number?

Firmware 1460. Dropping out watching cartoons on Nick JR
Badge +1
Hello , I am now on firmware version 1460 on my Samsung UE55JS9000 and I am experiencing regular dropouts again, it seemed to calm down on the 1452 release by samsung but watching stranger things on netflix with 5.1 it was dropping out .

Diagnostics number 6445791
Userlevel 1
Badge
Another 1460 dropout diagnostic: 6443545