Replace Play 5 with new Beam?

• 17 June 2018
  • 4 replies

Badge +1
Hi all Sonosphiles - i am considering the new Beam so that i can listen to music from Spotify and also the TV - i currently have 1 play5 and x2 play1s; my TV does not have a line out so i cant connect it to the play5 - i LOVE the bassy notes i get. Will i compromise too much if i swap out the 5 for a Beam? Will the Beam plus x2 play1s be as good? I cant afford to add a sub at the moment. Thanks for your oponions.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Beam and 2 play 1 should give you a good 4.1 HT system. But you will most likely lose some bass response. But I think the plus will give more then the minus. Just make sure you set the surround speaker to ambient for music. So you get the most out of the 3 speaker during music playback.

Then move the play5 to the bed room.

Let us know how the Beam sound once you get it, very interested to get some first hand user feedback. Everything right now is base on press reports not at a home setting.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
No idea what the Beam sounds like, I suspect not superior to the Playbar given proce point and size.

Playbar for comparison does not cuck out anywhere near the bass that a Play 5 (assuming gen 2) does. Play 1s do however produce a lot of bass considering the size. But paired as surrounds - at least for tv/movie sound they’d not add much bass. And for music in ‘full’ mode they’d need to be placednon a flat surface to maximise bass. They don’t produce anywhere near as much low end when placed on a stand or wall bracket, which is typical for surround setup.

Overall though in terms of flexibility then sounds like a beam would work better for your TV setup. So maybe the best approach would be to get a beam, then in short term group the play 5 for music. Then you can add a sub and surrounds at a later date if you deem the beam lacking for movies.

But in short, you are going to be compromising between bass and functionality without additional budget. But if you think of it as an expandable system that compromise might not be long term that’s how I looked at it. But the addiction took hold, but that’s another challenge ?
My first impression is that my Play 5 sounds slightly better for music than my new Beam (in my humble opinion). The Play 5 definitely has more bass than the Beam, but the Beam seems to have a bit more clarity.

What I did was far from a perfect comparison. Both speakers are practically standing next to each other and I tried to match volume, but that's about it. My Play 5 is standing vertically on the floor (not ideal), while my Beam is on top of a TV stand.

Overall, I'm very happy with the Beam for my TV, but I'll keep my Play 5 as well.
Userlevel 1
Play 5 has better sound for music. I can feel better bass with my play 5. Beam doesn’t have a strong bass. I think You may have to consider sub for beam.