Rear Surround Speakers Won't Play Sound When Connected to PlayBar

• 23 March 2013
  • 15 replies

Hi! I have connected a PlayBar to two Play:3 so that we can have surround sound when watching TV. I can not get any sound out of the Play:3s in this configuration. The two Play:3 work just fine as stand alone speakers attached to my Sonos system. I can successfully connect these speakers to the PlayBar using my controller and they are removed from their original rooms and attached to the PlayBar. When I look at the PlayBar it shows PlayBar (+ LS + RS) suggesting everything is connected. I have checked in AdvancedSettings and see that Surrounds is on. I have toggled it just to be sure. I have moved the sound level adjustment all the way to the right. No sound whatsoever. What can I do to solve this. All speakers have been updated to the latest software.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge
Hi Sctoy, Can you please play audio to the PLAYBAR Surround Sound setup and while playing that audio use the attached instructions to run a diagnostic. Please send the confirmation number in your response. Also what is the source that you're using through the TV and over the PLAYBAR? Answer Title: Submit System Diagnostics Answer Link: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/142
Hi James, Thanks for the reply. Here is my confirmation # 2372561 The source for the Playbar at the time I ran the diagnostics attached to the confirmation # above was the my Sonos Bridge playing Pandora. I submitted a second report, confirmation # 2372565 The source for the Playbar for this report was the TV via the optical cable that came with the Playbar. It is this configuration that I want to get working with the rear surround speakers. Looking forward to your feedback. Steve
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hello, In the diagnostic 2372565 I do not see the PLAY 3 units as being part of the PLAYBAR's Surround Sound Setup. Can you please go through the PLAYBARS surround sound setup once more and try to add the PLAY 3 units in as the rear speakers again. When that is set back up again try to play audio again over the PLAYBAR and submit another diagnostic. Adding surround speakers: You can easily add two SONOS PLAY:3 speakers to function as left and right surround channels in your Sonos surround sound experience. Follow the instructions below to add surround speakers—DO NOT create a room group or stereo pair as these will not achieve the left and right surround channel functionality. Using a handheld Sonos controller: 1.From the Settings menu, select Room Settings. 2.Select the room the PLAYBAR is located in. 3.Select Add Surround Speakers. 4.Follow the prompts to add first a left and then a right surround speaker. Using the Sonos Controller for Mac or PC: 1.Select Manage -> Settings (PC) or Sonos -> Preferences (Mac). 2.Select Room Settings if it is not already highlighted on the left. 3.From the Basic tab, select Add Surround Speakers. 4.Follow the prompts to add first a left and then a right surround speaker.
James, My fault. I removed the surround sound so I could use the speakers since they were not working in surround sound mode. I added them back to the Playbar and re-ran the diagnostics. The new number is: 2374612 Let me know what you see. Thanks. Steve
Userlevel 5
Badge
Thank you for that. What is the source that you were using when this happens? Is it the cable box or another source connected to the TV? If it is the cable box please try using a bluray player if there is one connected to the TV, or another source please. Please submit another diagnostic while playing that other source.
James, The only other independent source I have is Apple TV. I assume that will work correct? Steve
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hi Steve, That would work fine.
James, I submitted another diagnostic report with Apple TV as a source. With that source the surround sound worked. The diagnostic number is: 2377039 I assume you will tell me that since surround sound is working with the second source that the speakers are doing their job, which is fair. Of course this leaves the outstanding question of why it doesn't work when the TV is the source. Any guidance you can give me would be great. The TV is a Samsung UN60ES8000 60-Inch 1080p 240Hz 3D Slim LED HDTV. Thanks. Steve
James, greetings. I'm interested in the resolution to this thread. I myself just purchased a Sonor Playbar + Sub to go with my new Samsung ES7500 60 inch LED HDTV. I am interested in establishing a 5.1 surround sound setup by purchasing two more Play 3's, but am reading more and more that the rear two channels will only work in Surround Sound if the source audio is from the TV itself. My question is this: If I run the Optical Cable from the TV to a Media Receiver and then run a secondary optical cable from the Receiver back to the Playbar, will I then be able to generate a true 5.1 signal out of all components. For what it's worth, I have a Blu-Ray DVD player and an Apple TV plugged IN to the Receiver via HDMI cables, with the Receiver then distributing this content to the Samsung TV via an HDMI output. Thanks, Tom
Hello I have recently installed a play bar to my house and would love to have surround sound but the rear speakers do not seem to being making any sound when connected to surround sound mode. I cannot connect the play bar to my tv as it is a projector so for obviously I cannot reach the play bar to the projector so it connected to my Xbox one is there anyway I can get the rear speakers working?
Hi Sctoy, Can you please play audio to the PLAYBAR Surround Sound setup and while playing that audio use the attached instructions to run a diagnostic. Please send the confirmation number in your response. Also what is the source that you're using through the TV and over the PLAYBAR? Answer Title: Submit System Diagnostics Answer Link: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/142

I am using a Roku 4 connected to the soundbar. I have 2 play 5s (2nd gen) connected as souround. When I look up the soundbar in settings it states it is "stereo". I ran a Diagnostics test. # 6956782 Any help would be great.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I am using a Roku 4 connected to the soundbar. I have 2 play 5s (2nd gen) connected as souround. When I look up the soundbar in settings it states it is "stereo". I ran a Diagnostics test. # 6956782 Any help would be great.

What's the problem you are having? Or is there a question?
As you are only receiving stereo to the Playbar you will hear very little in the surrounds.
I am getting sound from the rears now that I connected directly through the Roku and not the TV but the soundbar is still saying stereo in the settings.
I have a playbase connected to router, and connected to samsung ju 7100 75" tv. I have 2 play 1 speakers as my rears. The rears play music but not tv. Help
When you’re watching TV, what does it say in Settings>About my Sonos System. Particularly on the line under the PLAYBAR that says “Audio In”?