Rear Speakers for Surround Sound

• 7 December 2023
  • 4 replies

Question regarding the rear speakers surround sound.

Will there be any noticeable difference between using Sonos in wall architectural speakers vs in ceiling Sonance Mag6r’s?

I initially planned on placing the architectural’s in wall behind the couch however, plans have changed and they need to be mounted in ceiling. I haven’t found any reason the rectangle in wall architectural’s can’t be placed in ceiling instead of swapping out for the circle ones meant for in ceiling? In searching I found the Mag6r’s are heavily discounted right now, so I’ve thought about switching to those. Any thoughts?

key points

• room has cathedral ceiling that’s about 10.5’ at peek, 8’ walls.
  • room is 100% shiplap.
  • room has several large windows as it overlooks a lake.
  • rear speakers will be used with Sonos Arc and Sonos Amp.

thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

In-walls are going to be better than in-ceilings for surrounds.  Also, the Sonos specific speakers can be Trueplay tuned, the non-Sonos speakers cannot.

I can’t do the in wall anymore, so it’s either mount the rectangle architectural “in wall” speakers in my ceiling, or return them for the Sonos round architectural “in ceiling” speakers, or buy Sonance round Mag6r’s for ceiling ($550 cheaper than Sonos architectural’s). 

The Trueplay tuning point applies to the Sonos in-ceilings also.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’d call Sonos Sales to discuss the in-wall use in the ceiling, I couldn’t see any reason why not in the user guides but asking before you cut big holes would be good.

If you are looking at non-Sonos you might want to consider larger speakers for that room, maybe 8” although the mag6r are dirt cheap. Maybe two pair of them?