Answered

Ray connection to Panasonic TV.

• 25 September 2023
  • 10 replies

Hi there,

I’m new here and I’m really hoping someone can help. I have a Sonos Ray which is working perfectly as a speaker over wifi but whenever I try to connect it to my TV it fails. My TV is a Panasonic LED TV, model TX-49FX555B.

I’ve used two different Optical digital cables, including the one provided (with the little plastic covers taken off) and the app keeps telling me that no signal is detected. 

I use an Apple TV but I’m obviously connecting  directly into the TV (I’ve tried unplugging the Apple TV in case that was an issue) but the optical connection is just not working. Everything else is ok, the Ray recognises the remote (the light on the ray is working).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - I’ve been faffing around with it for ages!

Thank you in advance, Tim.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 26 September 2023, 03:59

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

From the user manual…

System Audio Control

Allows an Audio Amplifier/Receiver to be used with

the TV. The volume can be controlled using the

remote control of the TV. To activate this feature set

the Speakers option in the Settings>System>More

menu as Amplifier. The TV speakers will be muted

and the sound of the watched source will be provided

from the connected sound system.

Note: The audio device should support System Audio Controlfeature and CEC option should be set as Enabled

Do you have the settings correct? Are you hearing audio from your TV speakers?  

Also, make sure in the Sonos app that the source is set to TV.

Thank you for answering Danny.

The TV menu is set to Amplifier so I think I have the settings correct but it’s not muting the TV speakers, there is still audio coming from them - maybe this is the problem but I don’t know how to resolve it.

The Sonos app is set to TV (I’m seeing the black box with a picture of the TV in it) and the volume control is at the bottom of the screen but obviously that’s not doing anything as the Ray is not connected to the TV.

Thanks again for the response,

Tim,

Page 16 in the TV manual may help. Make sure that CEC is enabled.

Thank you, CEC is enabled.

If I then go to the TV’s sources menu (from the main menu, as the manual suggests) it lists the different ports on the TV - Optical (which is how the Ray connects to the TV) is not listed there but under ‘Audio Visual Sharing Media’ the Ray is listed as ‘Sonos Ray Media Server’ along with my other Sonos wireless speakers (Five, Move). Clicking on Ray brings up a separate screen with various files (attributes, favourites, queues etc). 

The Sonos app is still saying No signal detected. 

I really appreciate any advice, Tim.

Thank you, CEC is enabled.

If I then go to the TV’s sources menu (from the main menu, as the manual suggests) it lists the different ports on the TV - Optical (which is how the Ray connects to the TV) is not listed there but under ‘Audio Visual Sharing Media’ the Ray is listed as ‘Sonos Ray Media Server’ along with my other Sonos wireless speakers (Five, Move). Clicking on Ray brings up a separate screen with various files (attributes, favourites, queues etc). 

The Sonos app is still saying No signal detected. 

I really appreciate any advice, Tim.

Ignore those, they have nothing to do with getting the TV audio to the Ray.  You need to go to the Audio menu and turn on the optical output, and turn off the TV speakers,

Experiment with CEC ON and OFF. You may need to switch the TV’s audio mode to “Amplifier” or manually reduce the TV Volume to zero. The instructions were not completely clear to me. Some TV’s will ignore some audio formats or pass them through unless CEC is enabled

CEC is only across HDMI, should it be making any difference on the optical port? Unless that ‘flag’ is turning off the optical output, I wouldn’t think it should affect the data stream. I’ve not looked at the manual, mind you. 

CEC is only across HDMI, should it be making any difference on the optical port? Unless that ‘flag’ is turning off the optical output, I wouldn’t think it should affect the data stream. I’ve not looked at the manual, mind you. 

Agreed, but the manual says CEC should be enabled.

I guess I would try unplugging the tv for a bid so it can do a reboot. Doubt it will fix it, but why not.

You could try  redoing the optical cable, but usually if you have sound from the tv speakers ,the tv is not sending the audio.

Well, as long as you’re doing a reboot of the TV, a refresh of the firmware is in order. 

I find this TV (Panasonic!) to be somewhat perplexing, based on the manual, but it does have ARC, in addition to optical. I haven’t found it yet, but imagine there’s a toggle somewhere that will activate that optical for the Ray, the only concern at that point would be to ensure the TV and source device are maxed out at Dolby Digital, and not Dolby Digital Plus, or Atmos, since neither of them can be carried across optical. 

Hi all,

a week and a half after getting the Ray it’s still not connecting with the TV (works fine as a speaker), I have updated the TV’s firmware and tried the suggestions above re the TV’s settings, I may have no choice but to give up but something odd happened tonight that someone may have some thoughts on.

I’d been listening to music on Sonos through line-in. I went to watch TV, turned the TV on via it’s remote and the TV’s sound came through both the TV speakers and the Ray at the same time.

I had not pressed TV in the Sonos app and the sound did not come through any of my other Sonos speakers. When I looked at the Sonos app only the Ray was selected to be playing (although I had not made this selection). The Ray worked for a few minutes but then when I changed channel (within Apple TV) the Ray turned off and try as I might it’s not worked since.

The Sonos app is still saying that the Ray is not connected to the TV, the optical signal is not connected but it definitely was working earlier. I’m so confused.

If anyone has any thoughts they would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you again, Tim.