R+L Ceiling Surround

Hi,

I wired my new build for ceiling speakers. I’ve got 2 sonance in prime position for Atmos surround. The problem is that I don’t know which wire goes to which speaker when plugging them into the Amp. Is there a way to test it? It seems that 1 of them is unresponsive and can’t tell if it’s a wiring issue or Amp issue, 

11 replies

I also can’t seem to get through TruePlay tuning without the notification of a lost speaker. I’ve attempted removing the surrounds and sub and readding them, but no luck. 

You can use a flashlight cell to detect if a speaker is wired and operating. Disconnect the speaker wires from AMP and touch the wires to each end of the battery. At the instant of connection, if the speaker is connected and operational, the speaker will “thump”.

And TruePlay will only work with the specific ‘architectural’ line of Sonance, and not just any of their speakers. 

Thank you for the replies. The battery trick is a new one for me!

I have the MAG8R Sonance surrounds. They aren’t the architectural ones. I’m assuming this is why the TruePlay isn’t working. 

Is there a guide for manually adjusting the EQ? Or is strictly based off of personal preference? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Just be reminded the Amp does not do Atmos.

Strictly based off of personal preference. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Is there a guide for manually adjusting the EQ? Or is strictly based off of personal preference? 

You can’t manually adjust the TruePlay system, you do have more generic tone controls that you can use.

Just be reminded the Amp does not do Atmos.

I’ve got an Arc paired with the 2 in-ceiling Sonance powered through the Amp. I could’ve swore that I read this would result in the 5.1 Atmos setup. 

Are you certain that’s not the case? 

Yes, the Arc will process the Dolby Atmos signal, and send the appropriate surround information to the bonded Amp, giving you a full Atmos experience. The Amp, when used to drive the front speakers, rather than the surrounds, can not process Atmos. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Your opening post did not mention the Arc. In your proposed set up you wil get Atmos, for which only the Arc is responsible.

Thank you all. This has been tremendously helpful.