Skip to main content

PS5 Audio Delay

• 26 December 2021
  • 6 replies

I'm fairly certain this has been discussed before, but I need a definitive answer.

I have an Arc w/ 2 Ones acting as rears for surround sound that are connected via ARC (not eARC - the TV doesn't have it) to my 2017 Samsung Series 6 (model no: UN55MU6290) which is also connected to my PS5.

Notably, my Samsung does not have an eARC connection. I think this may be the culprit.

On my PS5, I have the following config:

• HDMI Device Type: AV Amplifier

• Number of Channels: 7.1 ch (issue also occurs when on 5.1 ch)

• Audio Format: Dolby

On my Samsung, I have the following config:

• HDMI Input Audio Format: Bitstream

• Digital Output Audio Format: Dolby Digital

The Sonos app is telling me that the Audio In is Dolby Digital 5.1. This is great, but there is a .5 second delay upon input and sound output. All other apps I run through my Apple TV 4K have zero delay and sound great.

My question are:

• Is my TV too old and not powerful enough to process all the data for PS5 audio in a timely manner?

• Am I missing something in my config?

• Would plugging my Arc into my Samsung via optical cable reduce some of that lag? If so, what downstream effects would there be to the connection between my Sonos system and my Apple TV?

Please help! I already spent a ton of money on my audio setup, so if I need a new TV might as well just add it on at this point.

Does the audio delay occur when streaming movies, playing a Blu-ray disc, playing a PS5 game, or all three? Are there other options for the Digital Output Audio Format setting like Dolby Digital Plus or Auto that you can choose?

You should definitely try using the optical adapter to see if it makes any difference.

What are the other apps that play with zero delay? I don't really understand that comment. 

If the TV has “automatic game mode” (or you have manually set game mode for the PS5 input) you could try disabling that. Game mode will speed up the video path, so by NOT doing that it might slow it down enough to be in sync with audio. (The Apple TV doesn’t need or enforce “game mode” so may explain why it is ok).

Of course this will add latency to the game play from the PS5.

Trying optical from the TV might help too, its easy to try.

I found this issue as well with my LG C8. When the ps5 system wake up(rest mode), there’s like a crackle as it’s starting and the delays starts from there. If I shut down the system and restart, the delay is gone. When you I go to rest mode and wake, I get a slight delay that doesn’t go away until I restart again. I’m not sure if this would happen on my TV directly or not but this delay is only about a second or so. Enough for the lips not to sync. If restarted fixes it, it’s either a ps5 waking issue or Sonos arc audio issue. 

I had the same issue with a Dolby delay on my PS5, Sony TV and Beam. When the DTS update pushed out, I found that switching the PS5 audio format to DTS got rid of the delay. Worth a try. 

I had the same issue with a Dolby delay on my PS5, Sony TV and Beam. When the DTS update pushed out, I found that switching the PS5 audio format to DTS got rid of the delay. Worth a try. 

As soon as I hit send on that message, I started looking through the output options again and it dawned on me that DTS was an option.it  immediately worked a lot better. I’m going to restart one more time because the delays went from like a whole second+ to the tiniest delay . I’m hoping the restart kicked it back into sync for good. 
thanks!