Projector Audio to SONOS

• 17 October 2017
  • 7 replies

Hello !

I’m quite new to this forum but have been using SONOS for quite few yrs. I have got my HDMI 3D projector from Optoma and wish to configure a Home theatre (not necessarily a surround system).

The projector sits at the far backend of the room projecting toward the screen in front. I have my SONOS Play 5 near in the front and play 1 near the projector. I wish to connect my projector audio to Sonos. Wonder if I could achieve it with SONOS CONNECT? I had read quite few post but those are outdated and not sure if there are any few suggestions/solutions to get this job done. The aim is not to run too many cables around.

my projector audio out is like:

any suggestion on this please?

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/audio-and-headphones/audio/hifi-systems-and-speakers/sonos-connect-wireless-multi-room-stereo-adaptor-02418150-pdt.html

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Optoma-WHD200-Wireless-HDMI-System/dp/B00O7GYNGK

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3
You can but you're going to encounter some audio lag. The Connect has to digitise the analogue audio input signal before transmitting it to the other Sonos speakers.
Thk you lucid. I shall keep the thread open for other suggestions aswell. Thank again
Question : do i need sonos connect or connect amp ? Which works best and suitable ...still i dont get what is sonos connect amp for?
A CONNECT:AMP has the ability to power an external set of speakers. A CONNECT is just a device that has audio out and in, with no ability to power external speakers. If you're just sending the signal to other Sonos devices, you don't need the CONNECT:AMP and its associated higher cost.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
I can't help feeling that this (a Connect) is a clunky and ultimately compromised solution, but at the same time there's perhaps no cheaper route other than perhaps swapping the positions of the Play:1 and 5 to make use of the 5's line in feature.

If it wasn't for the Sonos then an AV Receiver (Yamaha RX-V383 - £349) and a 2.1 speaker package (Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 Stereo Speakers & SW150 Subwoofer - £229) would have given HDMI switching, HD audio DD and DTS compatibility, Pro-Logic II), no audio lag, adjustable lip sync, ability to add additional speakers (centre first), and plenty of inputs to integrate other gear. Hell, if you're not so fussed about deep bass then the Diamond 9.1's are available as a pair for £99 which is a great price for some cracking stereo speakers.

You could always try swapping the Play 5 and the Play 1 so you can use the Line In - even if its just temporary - as a test to see how much you notice the audio lag? Maybe you decide you can live with it? That way you're not spending on a Connect without knowing what to expect.
Hi,
Im having similar problems.
I have a MacPro (high sierra) and Movie protector and Sonos.

Computer and sonos perfect,
Computer and protector perfect
But i have to connect movie protector with analog to digital convert to conntect it with sonos BAR and im having that LAG issu allot every other second, and i try just connecting my phone to the convertor and then to sonos, and still LAG. I have change convert to make sure that was not the issue.
Anyone know what is the problem ?
I have tryed to connect the bar straigh to my tv and it works, but its like when the sound has to go throe that converter its not doing the right thing. Do i perheps need sonos connect cuz its stronger or what ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Rossinn90: Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. When the analog to digital converter changes the audio signal, it adds a delay to the signal. Removing the converter could remove the latency, however, you might run into the delay again if the audio is being sent wirelessly to another Sonos speaker.