Answered

Projector and Sonos 5.1 Surround Set connection

• 28 November 2018
  • 2 replies

Badge
I want to create a home theater using an Optoma UHD60 projector and Sonos 5.1 Surround Set with Playbar and Sonos One speakers. I am thinking of connecting a PC or Raspberry Pie to the projector. As I see the playbar has to connect to the projector via optical in. UHD60 has an optical out so I am thinking of connecting the projector to the playbar with a long optical cable. My questions are:

1. Is this connection proper for this setup to work?
2. Does this connection provide 5.1 surround sound?
3. Does the long optical cable have audio quality loss?
4. Is it ok to connect the optical cable to the projector or is it better to find a source with optical out?
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 28 November 2018, 20:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

1. Is this connection proper for this setup to work?

If it works the way you want it to, then it's proper.

2. Does this connection provide 5.1 surround sound?

You'll get 5.1 sound if your source material is in dolby digital 5.1. So that mean your PC would need to stream material in DD. If you're connecting the optical to your projector, then the projector needs to passthrough the audio. Otherwise, you can make the optical connection directly from the PC to the playbar.

3. Does the long optical cable have audio quality loss?

It should not. Never hurts to check the specs of whatever cable you buy though.

4. Is it ok to connect the optical cable to the projector or is it better to find a source with optical out?

Usually, the advantage of connecting to the projector/tv is that the projector/tv can take in multiple inputs. So you won't need an separate optical switch, or manually move the optical cable around whenever you use a different source. Since you really only have one source in your case, there isn't much difference.
Badge
Hi melvimbe,

Thank you for your prompt answers!
Let me just clarify that I have not yet purchased either the projector or the surround system, and I am asking so as to proceed buying both. If I may rephrase the first question:

a) Is connecting the projector to the Playbar with a long optical cable, all that's needed to do to play?
b) Has anyone tried this connection? If yes, are there any problems encountered whatsoever?