Answered

Pro/con - sound from TV or from splitter?

• 1 January 2021
  • 2 replies

We have a Sonos Playbar (+2.1) . Our current setup is DVD & Roku into an HDMI splitter, HDMI to TV, audio via optical to the Playbar.  It works reasonably well in 5.1 - there is some moderate lag depending on which app the Roku is looking playing (Amazon sync is frequently bad, Disney+ sometimes, too).

We recently bought a new TV and I see it has an optical out. That opens up the possibility of taking the audio from the TV into the Playbar, instead of audio from the splitter.

So, I wanted to ask: does anyone have any opinions about which is the best way to go?

[Obviously the best way to tell would be to try, but I’m not up for a round of re-cabling right now. So I thought I’d ask, first.]

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 1 January 2021, 22:11

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

If it’s a brand new TV, I’d say it’s certainly worth trying it without the splitter. In the grand scheme of things, it’s the way the system is designed to work. 

In my opinion you’ll need to try both approaches. It is possible that lip sync is better in one configuration vs the other. Without re-cabling you could try the TV’s sound directly from the TV. If App lip sync is better in this configuration, then you’ll need to swap cables for further trials.